Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"The college experience"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this
What is so special about this? I honestly don't understand why teens need to play at being adults.

I went to college, worked full-time and had a social life. I learned more than my friends whose parents paid for the entirety of their schooling, and I was able to progress in my career at a swifter pace once out of school because I had real work experience. My "college experience" friends were shocked that the virtue of their degree didn't automatically grant them awesome jobs and, shocker, everyone has to start at an entry level job or be the novice in their chosen field.

I actually think that having an extended adolescence into the college years does more harm than good.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

What are you asking, exactly?

cybcm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM
I'm in Australia and that's not really a thing here, so I don't get it either.
Here it's just a place you go to learn and maybe join some clubs if you like. No different to high school really, but then we don't really do the whole living at university thing either.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I worked full time, went to college and still had a shit ton of fun.
MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I don't know, I work full time and go to school full time. I live in my own house and pay all my own bills. I'd rather do this than live in a dorm and party every night.
theTosh.O
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I think it does too.

jamamama00
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I suppose if you've never had the luxury of having all of your expenses paid while you partied your ass off and traveled the world....you wouldn't understand.
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I had the college experience and landed a great career.  I had a great time and worked hard at my classes.  I only worked during summers doing internships.  I don't think one experience is better than the other.  We can all get to where we want to be, even by taking different routes.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Well Ds is off to college soon (Rutgers) He will be living in the dorms. We both want him to have that full college experience. However he will be paying the majority through working and student loans, and some help from us. There is a balance.
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Best four years of my life...and I have maintained so many great friendships for 20 plus years. Education isn't necessarily job training.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM
I lived on campus, had the "college experience" and do quite well in life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)