Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GAHHH! Thats what i get for being a good citizen!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 55 Replies

Yesterday morning, my neighbor girl (age 10) came to my door with puppy. This was not her puppy, but another neighbors; we did not know at the time which home it belonged to. We had only seen the puppy being walked around by another little girl, (also age 10) now and then. She had been asking neighbors if they wanted the dog for a few weeks now. The owner of the puppy, had apparently thrown this puppy out the day before, deciding that he did not want her anymore. The two little girls had spent the day before going door to door asking if anyone wanted her, they tied her up by the mailboxes with water and a sign that said "Please help! I don't have a home! WIll you take me home!" Evening time came, and the two girls had to go to their homes, and so had to leave the puppy out that night. The next morning, little puppy was still around so Alley brought her into her home to her mother who bathed her to kill the horrid amount of fleas that infested her.She and her family were leaving for the day. Her mother came over and told me that the Pet Adoption Center did not open until 1pm or she would take her there on the way to wherever they were going, and that she wasn't sure what to do in the meantime. I told her that i would keep the puppy in my laundry room, and bring her to the shelter after it opened. This was around 10am.

This puppy was dirty, and hungry; absolutely covered in dead fleas. I bathed her again, and spent over an hour picking fleas off of her with a lice comb. I fed her. I allowed her to play with my pets and children. I was kind to her. At 1pm, i took her to the shelter and explained the situation to the woman at the front desk. She didn't look me in the eye, she wasn't listening to me, she wasn't even trying to pretend to be listening. I was treated HORRIBLY by this woman. I was shamed, and treated like a liar, and an abuser. I was basically called a killer, and told that i was bringing this dog to her death. I was pressured to pay money and to take ownership of the dog. She told me that it was my responsibility to take the dog home and walk door to door to find it a home. Then she told me that it was my job to take the dog home, and find out who the owner was and MAKE him take her back. All of this happened in front of my five year old daughter and it took everything in me to hold back my tears in front of her, and the other people that were coming in. It was embarrassing  and she made it seem like i was doing something horribly wrong. Eventually i asked her if she would rather i just take the puppy home and let it go again. She let out a huge sigh, and told me to "Sign here, and initial here here and here. If nothing happens within three days, than this dog becomes the property of the state! She is MINE" The tone was condescending, and rude. I cant even really put into words how small she made me feel. I did however have to stop my plans for the day and go home, because once i reached the door, i could no longer hold my tears, and i had to go home after that.

I was kind to this puppy. I did my duty as a citizen. I took a stray puppy off of the street, i fed it, bathed it, made sure that it was safe and cared for until i could bring her to a safer place than where its owner had left it. I understand that working in a shelter, particularly one that is overloaded is an emotionally charged job, but to berate me and treat me in such a way as to cause an overwhelming of emotion and guilt over an animal that i was trying to help in the only way that i knew how is absolutely unacceptable, inappropriate, and unprofessional. In front of children and other people. Completely unacceptable. I felt guilty enough having to be the one to bring the puppy there.

I have three pets of my own, two that i just recently adopted and that have a lot of veterinary visits coming up in the future. There is no way that i would have been able to afford to take on another pet right now. That would have been irresponsible of me to even try. I understand that part of the job is to try and stop owners from relinquishing their pets, but is this really the best way to do so?

The pet adoption center is run by the police department and so i have filed a complaint which is in the process of being investigated. I hope something is done, because this woman was so okay with treating me that way, i am sure that i am not the first, nor will I be the last if nothing is done.
~Truth has no agenda~
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM
That's awful :( at least they took the dog, our shelter wont take anymore because its so overrun already.
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Glad you complained. That sucks , sorry.
strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess that was the seventh puppy for the day (they had opened less than an hour ago) and about 117 for the month; so i understand the frustration. It isnt my fault though =(

Quoting KennyPooPoo22: That's awful :( at least they took the dog, our shelter wont take anymore because its so overrun already.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Years ago I adopted a kitten from a shelter that was in a cage with about 7 other kittens. A few days later he seemed really sick so I took him to the vet. Vet says it's feline lukemia and we had to put him down, he didnt have long to liveand he was in pain. So we put him down. The next day I went to the shelter to let them know that he had been in a cage with other cats an that maybe they shouldnt adopt those out without testing first.

I'm not even kidding you, she looked at me and said "Well what do you want? A refund?" I just stood there and didnt know what to do. I told her agian that she should test the other kittens and asked if there was a way I could adopt a different kitten to replce the one we only had a few days.

She then says, "I tell what, bring me the dead cat and I'll let you exchange him."

I had the adoption folder and the vet papers with me. I just really didnt want them to adopt the other kittens out with a deadly contagious disease.

strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasnt going to complain but my mom talked me into it. Im glad now though. Nobody deserves to be treated that way. Im not sure i would feel comfortable bringing another dog there, which is unfortunate, if i ever needed to. There are so many strays around here =(

Quoting incogNinja: Glad you complained. That sucks , sorry.

BMisSHITE
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

that's awful. They should have thanked you. You did the right thing. That person must be coocoo. Not your fault. 

BMisSHITE
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

She then says, "I tell what, bring me the dead cat and I'll let you exchange him."

OMGWTF.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I have had the same experience when someone dropped 2 puppies off on our street. IT is sad and I am sure they hear all sorts of stories, but I was just doing what I thought was right. It sounds like you could have visited our Animal Control Shelter.

Shadowed_Star
by Neko❤Wolf on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I had to take an abandoned puppy to a shelter once. I shit you not I was told to "let it loose and call the cops to come get it" I left and me and dh found him a home.
WickedOpal
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Now, THAT is pretty awful!  Exchange it?  I would have said, "Are you kidding me?"

Quoting Anonymous:

Years ago I adopted a kitten from a shelter that was in a cage with about 7 other kittens. A few days later he seemed really sick so I took him to the vet. Vet says it's feline lukemia and we had to put him down, he didnt have long to liveand he was in pain. So we put him down. The next day I went to the shelter to let them know that he had been in a cage with other cats an that maybe they shouldnt adopt those out without testing first.

I'm not even kidding you, she looked at me and said "Well what do you want? A refund?" I just stood there and didnt know what to do. I told her agian that she should test the other kittens and asked if there was a way I could adopt a different kitten to replce the one we only had a few days.

I had the adoption folder and the vet papers with me. I just really didnt want them to adopt the other kittens out with a deadly contagious disease.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN