Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your 10 year old dropped off their growth curve....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Would you be worried?

My dd went for her annual and since her last visit 2 years ago ( we didn't take her last year because she was healthy and we ha a hectic year. I didn't think of it since she didn't need shots). She has gone from the 25th percentile in weight to slightly below the 5th.

Her doc was pretty concerned and we have instructions to feed her more fats and encourage slightly larger portions, more snacks, etc.

Her height percentile a dropped too but not as much as weight. She was in the 15th for height,I believe, but is now in the 8th. She is 51 inches tall and I thought she was 60 lbs but the doc said she's 55 and some ounces.

Anyone else have a kid like this? Was there a medical problem?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I never understood all the percentile mumble jumble...

But I mean I'd be a little concerned but not very much. Just do as instructed and see what happens. Is she a very active child? Is she stressed or depressed in any way?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/017/c/5/leafes_divider_by_gewalgon-d55jolb.png    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/017/c/5/leafes_divider_by_gewalgon-d55jolb.png

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM
She's active like any other child her age. She runs around and has fun in the yard, we do swimming lessons and go on walks, stuff like that. She isn't in sports.

She's not depressed or anything. She eats her meals and snacks. Although she does eat small portions and always has. But she's not picky. We've always given her full fat everything because of that and we make sure their is a snack around whenever she wants one.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

But I mean I'd be a little concerned but not very much. Just do as instructed and see what happens. Is she a very active child? Is she stressed or depressed in any way?

PoisonEyeV
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Sounds like she's fine to me...

Quoting Anonymous: She's active like any other child her age. She runs around and has fun in the yard, we do swimming lessons and go on walks, stuff like that. She isn't in sports. She's not depressed or anything. She eats her meals and snacks. Although she does eat small portions and always has. But she's not picky. We've always given her full fat everything because of that and we make sure their is a snack around whenever she wants one.
Quoting PoisonEyeV:

svolkov
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:27 PM
She sounds fine. Likely her own body shape is starting to form. Kids grow pretty rapidly for quite awhile...then mellow out. If she also stayed shorter than really she has stayed proportionate and on her own curve.
I read she eats well. Try giving an extra smoothie with healthy fats/fruits/veggies. Does she look healthy? Hair glossy, skin nice? Nails growing well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Skin is fine, nails fine, hair is very baby fine, thin and breaks easily. My other kids don't have hair like that.

Quoting svolkov: She sounds fine. Likely her own body shape is starting to form. Kids grow pretty rapidly for quite awhile...then mellow out. If she also stayed shorter than really she has stayed proportionate and on her own curve.
I read she eats well. Try giving an extra smoothie with healthy fats/fruits/veggies. Does she look healthy? Hair glossy, skin nice? Nails growing well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM
My 10 year old girl is 52lbs and 48 inches. But she's always been behind. We aren't a short family either, she just happens to be short.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM
I would give it 6 month to a year and see where she is then. I've stop growing and was below the chart when I was 10 years old. They wanted to give me growth hormones and my parents decided to wait a year. I'm 5'5 tall now!
Was she always on the smaller side ? 51 inches seems short. My 6 years old dd is 48inches.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM
My family is skinny so I probably wouldn't think much of it. Is she healthy otherwise? Eating enough?
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM
As long as her height and weight are proportionate, the percentile doesn't matter.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM

My son is kind of like that. He ways the same this year as he did last fall. He has grown a little and eats pretty good most of them time. He is 11 and 4'9" and 77lbs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)