Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm horribly shy...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
I mean really shy. I could be talking to a relative, boss, anyone about nothing and I turn beet red. So therefore I don't really look at people because I don't want them to see my red face. Its not an intimidation thing, I have no idea why I'm like this. I quit law school and settled for something that I wouldn't reallu have to talk to people. Question is how do I keep this from happening to DD when I dont even know why it happens to me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jglasser7682
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

That sounds more like you have Social Anxiety Disorder, which is a bit different than being shy. I've always been an extremely shy person but I also have Social Anxiety. For me, it does occasionally happen with family and friends but most of my issues are with meeting new people, starting and holding conversations, speaking in public or going to social gatherings (which absolutely terrifies me), being the center of attention, being watched, and I always over analyze and  worry what people think of me. Some people tend to think I'm stuck up because I don't talk much but really I just avoid it most of the time because it makes me very nervous. I also get the beet red face and a lot of times it's so bad that my heart starts racing, I start shaking and sweating, feel like I can't breathe and get nauseous.

A far as for your DD, I'm not positive on what you can do to insure that it doesn't happen to her because doctors aren't really sure what causes it but it does tend to be familial.

The only advice I can give is to be very encouraging with her and try to get her active in public situations and in socializing (even if you can't be social yourself).

I'm also adding two links below that may help you. The first one explains what it is along with symptoms and the second one gives advice on ways to help with the symptoms, which is something I'm still working on, myself. You should also see your doctor about it and also speak with your DD's pediatrician, they may be able to suggest or refer both of you to a therapist that specializes in S.A.D.

(www.healthline.com)
Social Anxiety Disorder: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(www.helpguide.org)
Social Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia: Symptoms, Self-Help, and Treatment

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Oh wow thank you! I never really thought about it being something other than being extremely shy. Thanks for the links I will definitely research this.

Quoting jglasser7682:

That sounds more like you have Social Anxiety Disorder, which is a bit different than being shy. I've always been an extremely shy person but I also have Social Anxiety. For me, it does occasionally happen with family and friends but most of my issues are with meeting new people, starting and holding conversations, speaking in public or going to social gatherings (which absolutely terrifies me), being the center of attention, being watched, and I always over analyze and  worry what people think of me. Some people tend to think I'm stuck up because I don't talk much but really I just avoid it most of the time because it makes me very nervous. I also get the beet red face and a lot of times it's so bad that my heart starts racing, I start shaking and sweating, feel like I can't breathe and get nauseous.

A far as for your DD, I'm not positive on what you can do to insure that it doesn't happen to her because doctors aren't really sure what causes it but it does tend to be familial.

The only advice I can give is to be very encouraging with her and try to get her active in public situations and in socializing (even if you can't be social yourself).

I'm also adding two links below that may help you. The first one explains what it is along with symptoms and the second one gives advice on ways to help with the symptoms, which is something I'm still working on, myself. You should also see your doctor about it and also speak with your DD's pediatrician, they may be able to suggest or refer both of you to a therapist that specializes in S.A.D.

(www.healthline.com)Social Anxiety Disorder: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(www.helpguide.org)Social Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia: Symptoms, Self-Help, and Treatment

jglasser7682
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

You're very welcome.  :)

Quoting Anonymous: Oh wow thank you! I never really thought about it being something other than being extremely shy. Thanks for the links I will definitely research this.
Quoting jglasser7682:

(www.healthline.com)Social Anxiety Disorder: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(www.helpguide.org)Social Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia: Symptoms, Self-Help, and Treatment

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)