Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my cat knows I'm stressed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I didn't know they could sense that. Is it true?

I'm going through a separation. I've been having a hard time of it. Finding a job. Figuring it all out. Meanwhile my cat is following me all over the place. She does that anyway. But she's meowing constantly at me. Licking me, which she never did. And basically meowing at my feet unless I pick her up and carry her. She's barely left my side in days. I was telling my sister, and she thinks she knows I'm upset.

Anyways. I thought it was interesting, if it's true. I kept checking her food and water, giving her treats. And playing with her trying to figure out what she wanted lol.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM
It's true :)
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Yes. True. Can you tell when she's not feeling well? You're giving off cues if you know it or not. Plus animals are much better at connecting on a deeper level. We tend to ignore a lot of the stuff they are so good at licking up on.
When my dh and I were living apart our dog got really close to him and they have a really right bond now. He knew dh was hurt and lonely. He wouldn't leave his side and actually dh took him to work with him. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Does it stress her out too? It is she just trying to comfort me? I also googled. It said also she may be trying to remind me to take her with me when we go lol.

Quoting Anonymous: It's true :)
chairhead28
by Kris on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Animals are very much in sync with their owners.

A lot of dogs can sense when women are going into labor, too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
She's a funny little thing. She claimed me the day we brought her home. She also let's ds manhandle her. It's funny, because as revenge she stalks and attacks him when he walks past the couch. She jump up and bap him on the back of the head and run. Lol. Sometimes she'll protest him loudly. But she still won't run away. She just meows and bops him. (He's not mean, but he loves to pick her up and try to carry her around).

Quoting chairhead28: Animals are very much in sync with their owners.

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I firmly believe that some cats really do know when we need them. I've had 2 different cats who "took care of me" during 2 different labors. And  1 of my cats was recently all over me more than usual one day. Our dog died that day. I believe she was telling me that it was going to be that day (he was dying from heart disease.)

chairhead28
by Kris on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM
When I was little, I used to put my cat in baby strollers, high chairs, baby doll clothes...I'd put make up on him, lol.

My daughter does that now with the cat and her bunny. We have like the chillest animals ever. We also have an awesome Boxer.

Quoting Anonymous: She's a funny little thing. She claimed me the day we brought her home. She also let's ds manhandle her. It's funny, because as revenge she stalks and attacks him when he walks past the couch. She jump up and bap him on the back of the head and run. Lol. Sometimes she'll protest him loudly. But she still won't run away. She just meows and bops him. (He's not mean, but he loves to pick her up and try to carry her around).

Quoting chairhead28: Animals are very much in sync with their owners.

chefmartha
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Yep. Pets seem to know when their people are down, stressed, or any other emotion. My cat follows me around and seems to know when something on me hurts (like my back or cramps from my period). Since my dad's passing, my parent's  cats have rallied around my mom (she has two big old toms). They curl up with her on her chair, give her kisses when she's down and follow her around the yard as she gardens. LOL... they seem to be able to tell time too.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Yup they sense changes in us and if guardian (you) is putting off distress hormones then they get worried.   Our cat gets super clingy if my guys blood sugar is going wacky.

pce68
by Patti on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:46 PM

They can sense those things. When I was a teenager my cat always knew when I was having cramps and would come lay on my stomach. Best heating pad EVER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)