Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Borrowing" money from your kids

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM
  • 94 Replies
6 moms liked this
How do you feel about it?

I think it is wrong and demonstrates a lack of responsibility. If you are having to take $20 from your kids to put gas in your car, you need to reevaluate your circumstances and make some necessary changes.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneck.crazy
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Depends IMO. Are we talking a 5 yr old, q6, or 18+? Borrowing from your young child I can see as wrong but a late teen? Or 18+ yr old? Eh shit happens. Lol

My folks and I are always passing money back and forth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I would absolutely never EVER put myself in a situation like that. And if I WAS that broke, I would NEVER let my kids know! No way in HELL would I ever borrow money from my kids! Anyone who does needs to get their priorities straight. That is completely unacceptable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouser
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Young children. Like using their birthday money.

Quoting redneck.crazy: Depends IMO. Are we talking a 5 yr old, q6, or 18+? Borrowing from your young child I can see as wrong but a late teen? Or 18+ yr old? Eh shit happens. Lol

nayeli.c
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM

In general I think it demonstrates a lack of responsibility too... Why don't you as a parent and an adult have an emergency fund... Do you not budget? It makes me wonder... not to mention some parents "borrow" and never repay, I had one of those!

TrouserMouser
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
We found out stepson's mom has been "borrowing" his money that he has been earning at our house helping with yard work and stuff. I'm pretty disgusted.

Quoting 504bbymami: I would absolutely never EVER put myself in a situation like that. And if I WAS that broke, I would NEVER let my kids know! No way in HELL would I ever borrow money from my kids! Anyone who does needs to get their priorities straight. That is completely unacceptable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
I would never do that. My mom "borrowed" all of my birthday money from me one year to buy my brother his birthday presents. I gave it happily, assuming I would have it back soon. I realize now they just didn't have it.. and they saved face with relatives by having presents at the party... I forgave a long time ago for all of the money they took over the years, but I haven't forgotten and would never make my kids feel like it was OK to take money from someone.
mommybear91
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
I absolutely will never take money from my kids. That's just sad if your the parent and still have to barrow money from them.
Ladybugmama86
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure my kids would rather eat right now, then have money for later at this point in their lives.

Yes, we have borrowed money from them, but have a complete tally and will open a bank account in their names in a couple years.

Judge all you want, some times it doesnt matter how much you do right, some times things happen that are out of our control. Like me quitting my job to move to another state, because hubby was transferring with his job, only to have someone else lie about him and he gets arrested and loses that job and I end up homeless and earning $50 a week while 5 months pregnant.... You can reevaluate that all you want, but shit happens.

redneck.crazy
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Yeah IMO that is wrong.

But at the same time if the parents do pay it back I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Quoting TrouserMouser: Young children. Like using their birthday money.

Quoting redneck.crazy: Depends IMO. Are we talking a 5 yr old, q6, or 18+? Borrowing from your young child I can see as wrong but a late teen? Or 18+ yr old? Eh shit happens. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Shit happens. I never thought you to be the judgy type.
Hard times happen. If I had to borrow from my child to pu food on the table so be it. I have been in the situation where we pawned everything we could and still were behind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)