Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Melatonin during pregnancy?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am having A LOT of problems sleeping lately. I constantly wake up all through the night have a hard time getting to sleep and getting comfortable. I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I'm always so tired I have heard about melatonin but am not sure if it can be used during pregnancy as they normally are against "natural remedies".
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM
It's not suggested because there are no studies . They have no idea if it can be harmful to baby or not. I wouldn't risk it. But I really doubt it's harmful.

How about Benadryl?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM
And honey, that's really just part of pregnancy. Especially at the end. It gets uncomfortable. Sleep gets more and more difficult. You really just have to suck it up and deal :/ women have been dealing with that since the beginning of time. We have to put our babies' safety over our own comfort. That's what being a mother is all about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Melatonin during pregnancy is fine.My OB okayed it when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM
I realize that, I have two other children. I never experienced it this bad until much farther into my pregnancies.

And yes I normally avoid ALL medications. I have severe migraines when pregnant but won't take anything for it.

Quoting 504bbymami: And honey, that's really just part of pregnancy. Especially at the end. It gets uncomfortable. Sleep gets more and more difficult. You really just have to suck it up and deal :/ women have been dealing with that since the beginning of time. We have to put our babies' safety over our own comfort. That's what being a mother is all about.
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I of course plan to ask my OB and normally don't take any meds other than tums with this pregnancy and last (never needed them with first) but I am so tired

Quoting MrsApple:

Melatonin during pregnancy is fine.My OB okayed it when I was pregnant with my daughter.

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Im 35 weeks and I take it.  Most Western doctors just arent familiar with herbal remedies but we naturally produce melatonin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Magnesium. No melatonin. It's habit forming and your body will stop making it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Oh, and chamomile tea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)