• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"mommy how did your brother die?" o.O ummm...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 41 Replies
How exactly do you explain stuff like this to a 5 year old?

He was 13 and walking home from school when a man who was under the influence of drugs hit him and then drove away.

I don't want to lie to her and tell her some off the wall thing or the whole God needed his help with something in heaven stuff. She is very astute and would again ask how he died. But I also don't want her to be scared to walk anywhere especially since her school has many field trips where they wall through town on the side walk by the road.

And for the asshole anons that have insisted before that I lied about how he died. Google Robert McLouth and then shove it up your ass!!
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Try to explain in "kid words" that someone hit him with their car..

Or say it was a car crash.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM

You tell her he was hit by a car.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Give her the Cliff's Notes version. He was killed in an accident.

I don't think it's a good thing to lie to kids but you also don't want to give them too much detail.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
When my nephews' mother died, my father told them that their mom had been in a bad accident and that even though they tried very hard, the doctors couldn't save her.
bmthverana
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Tell her he was hit by a car, but use soft kid words. 

I'm sorry :[ 

CafeMom Tickers
hma1216
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I had mommy how did your mom die when dd was 3

I told her God decided it was time for my mom to go to heaven. I explained where heaven was and what it's like. We are a religious family so it wasn't like she had never heard about heaven. I explained how once you go to heaven you live there but you can look done to check on your loved ones.

We talk a lot about her. A lot. She is curious about my moms life.

It's hard but it's nice to talk about her and share my memories.
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her the truth.  Some used drugs and was driving and ran over him with their car.  Give the don't use drugs, don't drive while using drugs and the be very careful when you are walking around cars speeches all at once.

hautemama83
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Tell her the truth. I tell Ds who's also 5 the truth about everything when he asks. He's too literal for bullshit reasons lol.
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
We are religious as well. But like I said she wouldn't see that as an actual answer.

We talk about him a lot too :) I was 5 when he died so I don't have many memories to share with her but she likes to pretend he is around and watching over her. Which I also don't have a problem with.

Quoting hma1216: I had mommy how did your mom die when dd was 3

I told her God decided it was time for my mom to go to heaven. I explained where heaven was and what it's like. We are a religious family so it wasn't like she had never heard about heaven. I explained how once you go to heaven you live there but you can look done to check on your loved ones.

We talk a lot about her. A lot. She is curious about my moms life.

It's hard but it's nice to talk about her and share my memories.
Thunderbug75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Sorry for your loss.

I would just say that is all was a horrible accident or that he was hit by a car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)