Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! Foods that will help dd GAIN weight???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
My dd is 7.5 and only weighs 44 pounds. And shes 46 inches tall. Her pediatrician and I are worried about her weight. She eats 3 full meals a day, and 3-5 snacks a day. So she definitely eats. But shes a very active child, and is also pretty picky. She loves healthy foods and would pick a salad and fresh fruits over a hotdog and fries any day.

So she mainly eats salads, fruits, veggies, whole grain pastas, yogurt, chicken, and fish. She doesnt like any other meats.

So her pediatrician said I need to start giving her foods that are high in calories and start giving her those breakfast nutrition shakes (she doesnt like the taste of the pediasure shakes), and switch to whole milk.

Do you have any other ideas of foods that will help her gain some weight? And it cant be anything too sugary because she doesnt handle sugar well. And she doesnt really like most "kid foods" like grilled cheese, hot dogs, corn dogs, cheeseburgers, spaghettios, etc.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Add healthy fats to her diet: coconut oil, ghee (clarified butter), nuts, nut butters, olive oil...those add calories and are really healthy. 

My oldest will be 9 in a couple of months. She is 47.5" tall and 49 lbs, so she is small as well. Her younger sister is going to be 6 in 9 days and she is 37 lbs and 44" tall...their pediatrician is not concerned at all. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Nuts and nut butters
Tropical fruit (due to all the sugars)
Red meat
Avocado
Breads and pastas
Potatoes

Why is your ped concerned?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Sorry but cows milk is fucking disgusting and I would omit it altogether.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:02 AM
He said because she has only gained 1 pound within the last year and because she is considered underweight for her age that she needs to gain a few pounds. He doesnt want her to gain a lot, just a healthy amount. She is the smallest child in her grade. She can still fit into some 4's and 5's for her pants and a lot of her pants are size xs and 6 slims. And those are still loose.

Quoting Anonymous: Nuts and nut butters
Red meat
Avocado
Breads and pastas
Potatoes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I think hes more concerned because she has literally only gained 1 pound in the last year.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Add healthy fats to her diet: coconut oil, ghee (clarified butter), nuts, nut butters, olive oil...those add calories and are really healthy. 

My oldest will be 9 in a couple of months. She is 47.5" tall and 49 lbs, so she is small as well. Her younger sister is going to be 6 in 9 days and she is 37 lbs and 44" tall...their pediatrician is not concerned at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, we like cows milk in this family. You do whats best for your family, and ill do whats best for my family. Have a nice day. :)

Quoting Anonymous: Sorry but cows milk is fucking disgusting and I would omit it altogether.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM
I've tried all of the above suggestions, and I've never been able to gain weight.

Good luck!
TrouserMouser
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM
I have a 15.5 year old son that is 5'5" and weighs about 86 lbs. We've tried everything to get him to gain weight since he was an infant. Nothing works. It's just the way he is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I would not try to "fatten up" my child.  I would not restrict healthy fats, if you happen to (without thinking), though.  It doesn't hurt a child to eat avocados and coconuts, to eat fattier fish and grass-fed meats if she'll eat it dark chicken not just white, grass-fed full-fat yogurt (the low fat stuff is too high in sugar anyway), cheese, butter (if you do dairy) etc, olives.  I feed my children healthy fats and they are still skinny minnies.  I was brought up eating a diet with fats and was still very, very thin.  As an adult I eat twice what some people my size eat. Some people the more you feed them the more their internal furnace and metabolism will just ramp right on up.   The only time my metabolism slows down a bit is during pregnancy.   

Also, I specify grass-fed because corn-fed animal and milk fat is not as high in omega 3's. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:42 AM
I'm not a doctor, but my dd is the same way. She's four and can fit in 6mo pants because she's so petite. My beliefs are as long as she is developing appropriately, eating, exercising, and healthy, she's fine. I know all kids are different and I'd hate for something to be overlooked. However from our experience, doctors don't like it when kids don't fit their molds.

We went through all sorts of unnecessary testing simply because dd didn't fit the chart. We even went as far as to compare her chart to my childhood chart. They were nearly exactly the same. Size is often genetic.

Are you or her father petite? Are there any other issues, hormonal, behavioral, emotional, etc?

Quoting Anonymous: He said because she has only gained 1 pound within the last year and because she is considered underweight for her age that she needs to gain a few pounds. He doesnt want her to gain a lot, just a healthy amount. She is the smallest child in her grade. She can still fit into some 4's and 5's for her pants and a lot of her pants are size xs and 6 slims. And those are still loose.

Quoting Anonymous: Nuts and nut butters
Red meat
Avocado
Breads and pastas
Potatoes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN