Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did anyone's child repeat Kindergarten?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM
  • 16 Replies

it was recommended for our youngest son. It was a struggle for him acedemically and he's just sounding out words now while other kids going into 1st are reading books. His math skills are delayed too. It was a full day and he was young for K last year. I didn't have to deal with this with my older boys but am leaning towards letting him repeat. Did anyone do this and were happy you did?

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momwriter
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:09 AM
I knew that my oldest would struggle, so I enrolled him in a private kindergarten outside of our district. Then he was enrolled the following year in the kindergarten at home. I don't know about keeping a child back though.
momwriter
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM

We couldn't afford private Kindergarten around here last year but it was suggested to us.

Quoting Anonymous: I knew that my oldest would struggle, so I enrolled him in a private kindergarten outside of our district. Then he was enrolled the following year in the kindergarten at home. I don't know about keeping a child back though.

Remy11
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Personally I am against it. I get asked that all the time as I'm a clinician that works with young children. He will catch up academically but not moving on with his friends is worse. Work with him at home, get a tutor next year if needed.

Quoting momwriter:

it was recommended for our youngest son. It was a struggle for him acedemically and he's just sounding out words now while other kids going into 1st are reading books. His math skills are delayed too. It was a full day and he was young for K last year. I didn't have to deal with this with my older boys but am leaning towards letting him repeat. Did anyone do this and were happy you did?

ChunkyMonkey25
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM
My oldest was. It made her a stronger student and when she was in the 6th grade I had her bumped up to the 8th skipping 7th. She's still doing awesome academically.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Not so far. Here's a bump
momwriter
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM

He has a tutor this summer and she thinks repeating is a good idea. His preschool recommneded another year of preschool last year instead of K but we just sent him to K b/c we couldn't afford the $700/month for pre-k plus. he has friends in the neighborhood who are going into K but would miss his friends from last year...

Quoting Remy11: Personally I am against it. I get asked that all the time as I'm a clinician that works with young children. He will catch up academically but not moving on with his friends is worse. Work with him at home, get a tutor next year if needed.
Quoting momwriter:

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Yep, it was one of the very best parenting decisions err have made. He was behind academically and socially. Going on to 1st would have been terrible for him. Listen to the teachers, they wouldn't recommend it unless it was very apparent to them that your son would benefit from it.
momwriter
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Good to hear. I think he will repeat.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: Yep, it was one of the very best parenting decisions err have made. He was behind academically and socially. Going on to 1st would have been terrible for him. Listen to the teachers, they wouldn't recommend it unless it was very apparent to them that your son would benefit from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM

We haven't had to do this but I have seen it happen and it's not that big a dea from what I've noticed, especially if they were young for it the first time.  In my opinion, all it does is help them be better students.  If they aren't ready for the next grade level, they aren't ready.  It's better to repeat Kindergarten than a higher grade.  He will make new friends this year.  That would be much harder if he's held back later on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)