Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You want a what?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 20 Replies
I was chilling with my 6 year old a few days ago when she looked at me and said "can I have a cell phone? They have lots of games on them for kids to play where you learn things about the ocean and .....(insert a long list of 6 year old justifications here)"

I looked at her and said "no, you can't have a phone. You are 6 years old and little girls don't need their own phones."

Right now she doesn't go anywhere that she might need to call me. she doesn't stay the night at friends houses, my husband and I are together so every night she is home and doesn't need one to be able to communicate privately from a are parent's house, and we live in the country so she isn't out with neighborhood kids playing all day long. I just don't see the need for one yet.

Next year I may get her one that can only call 911, my husband and myself, and my parents... But we shall see.

So all of this got me wondering.... What age did you get your child a cell phone? What kind did you buy? What restrictions did you put on it? And do you regret that decision and why?
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I got DS one at 9.

Just because he was walking to and from school by himself and I felt more comfortable knowing he had one (that was also when he started properly going out with friends, calling for them etc)
If he hasn't been doing that I would have waited till he started high school
I just got him a basic basic one that could call and text. He got a better phone when he started high school (age 11)
KatUzumaki
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM
That's what I was thinking... Maybe high-school. Though around here... That's age 14 rather than 11 ;-)

Quoting StreetsAhead: I got DS one at 9.

Just because he was walking to and from school by himself and I felt more comfortable knowing he had one (that was also when he started properly going out with friends, calling for them etc)
I just got him a basic basic one that could call and text. He got a better phone when he started high school (age 11)
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Get her a tablet since all she wants it for is games. 

KatUzumaki
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM
The has a leap pad ultra. And she and my other daughter play on it. Idk what the deal is with asking for the phone?

I also have them signed up for abcmouse.com. They have plenty of mentally stimulating games.

I think she just wants one because I have one and she relates it to growing up?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Get her a tablet since all she wants it for is games. 

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
We are thinking about getting a VERY basic one for our 9 year old that will stay in the house and only be used if I'm late getting home from work. I just started back to work and get off at 330 they get off the bus at close to 4. I should have no problem getting home before them but there is always a chance I'll run into traffic and be a little late. The phone is if that happens they or I can call, in that situation.
KatUzumaki
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Good plan. A house phone would work as well though... And you wouldn't have to worry about it being lost when he needs it.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: We are thinking about getting a VERY basic one for our 9 year old that will stay in the house and only be used if I'm late getting home from work. I just started back to work and get off at 330 they get off the bus at close to 4. I should have no problem getting home before them but there is always a chance I'll run into traffic and be a little late. The phone is if that happens they or I can call, in that situation.
StreetsAhead
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
DS is 14 now and I can't imagine only getting him a phone now.

He has been off doing sport and activities, and a social life for a good few years and having a phone and not I wouldn't want that (should say we live in a city so he doesn't always rely on lifts as he uses public transport, walks or cycles so I guess that alters when he got one)

Quoting KatUzumaki: That's what I was thinking... Maybe high-school. Though around here... That's age 14 rather than 11 ;-)

Quoting StreetsAhead: I got DS one at 9.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Yeah not that's a lot more expensive. Wet can get a prepaid cell phone with unlimited minutes for $20 a month. Err don't have cable, satellite, or internet so that bundling thing isn't an option. (I'm on my phone which has unlimited data. That's our only real luxury we allow ourselves.) Wet don't even have car payments, we drive older cars.

Quoting KatUzumaki: Good plan. A house phone would work as well though... And you wouldn't have to worry about it being lost when he needs it.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: We are thinking about getting a VERY basic one for our 9 year old that will stay in the house and only be used if I'm late getting home from work. I just started back to work and get off at 330 they get off the bus at close to 4. I should have no problem getting home before them but there is always a chance I'll run into traffic and be a little late. The phone is if that happens they or I can call, in that situation.
hollyandjason
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Both of my girls got them when they went into middle school.
They were both 13, and did a lot of after school stuff, so they would call and tell us what bus they were taking home or if the missed the bus.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Neither of mine have phones. They are almost 6( in 9 days) and almost 9. I am a SAHM, they are homeschooled,and I am with them at their ECA as parents are not allowed to leave. They don't spend the night at friends' homes as the other parents don't allow them so they have no need for one at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)