Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was I being unreasonable?? Drinking at a family gathering

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 284 Replies
DH has a big extended family. We just moved here and I haven't even met lots of them. His aunt is having a big family gathering this weekend, and last night she had a big dinner to kick it off.

My parents are recovering alcoholics and while my drinking never got horrible, I don't drink because it makes me feel out of control and out of respect for my parents. My in laws don't really drink either so it's not a problem on holidays with them.

However, last night at the dinner his cousins who are all between 21 and 30 brought beers, wine, mixed drinks, etc. out at at dinner time and brought them to the table. I was so taken aback. My kids are 6 and 8 and there were lots of other littles and I don't think drinking around children is okay. I asked them to put it away until all the little were tucked in or at least playing and away from them and they said no, absolutely not. Some even started laughing. I was so pissed I just kept my kids distracted through dinner.

We're going back today but I'm not staying with my kids til dinner. Was I so unreasonable to think they shouldn't be drinking around kids and should wait til they're not around?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarastanley88
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM
37 moms liked this
You are unreasonable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM
24 moms liked this
Yes, you were. They were responsibly drinking, not snorting lines of coke in front of your kids. You might think alcohol has to be some kind of mysterious boogeyman to your kids, but no one else does, and when it's not your house, you don't get to set the rules.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
You are being unreasonable. We were at my friends house last night for an outdoor movie and there was alcohol around and the kids were there.

I don't see the big deal.
Patti-Gee
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this

You were beyond unreasonable.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM
You're unreasonable.
rockgal81
by Steph on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, you were. You don't get to make rules for other adults. Just because you don't drink alcohol, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't or shouldn't. My kids have seen us drink a beer or some wine before. I really don't see the issue here. 

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Completely unreasonable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Drinking doesn't bother me and I don't keep my kids away from people drinking. We are always having huge parties in our families and drinking is involved. I grew up the same way. No biggie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes that is unreasonable. Why does it matter if your children see the legal adults drink? I would have laughed at you too thinking you were joking.
casah4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Yes, you were unreasonable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN