Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is unschooling?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 160 Replies

I just asked this in a post in another group but maybe you people can tell me better. 

What is it, exactly?  

From what I'm getting from Wikipedia -not the best source-  is that it's when you allow your kid to do whatever they want with no regard to teaching them like you would in a real school, or basic homeschooling.  

But then, how does the kid learn valuable skills like reading? 

Only time I've ever seen an "unschooled" kid was on an episode of Wife Swap, and the kids couldn't even read -although they could have scripted that- idk. 

School me. 

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Unschooling is irresponsible. You pretty much have it right. IMO
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM
7 moms liked this

What is Unschooling?

First, it’s a form of homeschooling. But there’s no easy answer to that except in comparison to regular schooling. There’s no one way to do unschooling, and people who do it often do it for many different reasons in many different ways.

in contrast to school:

• While school has classes with subjects, unschooling doesn’t.
  • While school has goals set by teachers and the school system, the unschooler (the kid) set his or her own goals.
  • While in school, knowledge is handed down from the teacher to the student, in unschooling the student is empowered to learn for himself.
  • While school has specific books or sets of learning materials, unschoolers can learn from anything — books they find, things on the Internet, siblings or parents, the outdoors, museums, people working in interesting fields, anything.
  • While school is structured, unschooling is like jazz. It’s done on the fly, changing as the student changes.
  • While students in school learn to follow instructions, unschoolers learn to think for themselves and make their own decisions.
  • While students in school are asked to learn at pace arbitrarily set by administrators, unschoolers learn at their own pace.
  • While in school, learning happens in the classroom at certain times, in unschooling learning happens all the time, and there is no division between learning and life.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM

So it is just allowing your kids to be "free spirits" with no regard to actual education? If so, yea, I agree that would be  irresponsible. 

Quoting Anonymous: Unschooling is irresponsible. You pretty much have it right. IMO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
From what I've gathered, it's learning from your environment as it naturally occurs day to day rather than having defined learning goals.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

So it is just allowing your kids to be "free spirits" with no regard to actual education? If so, yea, I agree that would be  irresponsible. 

Quoting Anonymous: Unschooling is irresponsible. You pretty much have it right. IMO

smalltownteddy
by Fletcher on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM
6 moms liked this
It's ridiculous. It's the idea that you shouldn't have to learn anything you don't want to on your own. It's irresponsible and neglectful at best. I'm all for pursuing interests, but you can't just not teach your kid how to read or do math because it's "boring".

Quoting AliKatAK47:

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Everyone does that, daily. As humans we are designed to learn and adapt to the world around us. We are constantly taking in knowledge without even knowing it. But, maybe that shouldn't be the only way to learn. Things like learning to read and do math comes from studying and having someone teach us these things.  From my understanding the child chooses what they want to learn. So if the kid never picks up a book or something, do they never learn to read? 

Quoting Anonymous: From what I've gathered, it's learning from your environment as it naturally occurs day to day rather than having defined learning goals.
Quoting AliKatAK47:

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I just finished asking the anon above you something similar. If the child never gains interest in a book or math, do they never learn to read or add. 

Quoting smalltownteddy: It's ridiculous. It's the idea that you shouldn't have to learn anything you don't want to on your own. It's irresponsible and neglectful at best. I'm all for pursuing interests, but you can't just not teach your kid how to read or do math because it's "boring".
Quoting AliKatAK47:

smalltownteddy
by Fletcher on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Supposedly the argument to that is that eventually they'll teach themselves to read or do math because they'll have to in pursuit of one of their interests. I call bs though, at least in the math department.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I just finished asking the anon above you something similar. If the child never gains interest in a book or math, do they never learn to read or add. 

Quoting smalltownteddy: It's ridiculous. It's the idea that you shouldn't have to learn anything you don't want to on your own. It's irresponsible and neglectful at best. I'm all for pursuing interests, but you can't just not teach your kid how to read or do math because it's "boring".

Quoting AliKatAK47:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM
8 moms liked this
There's a difference between unschooling (child led learning - the parent follows the child's interest and finds educational activities usually without workbooks to help the child learn) and radical unschooling (no bedtime, no quiet time where learning is pursued even if it is about how cat food is made).
The former is usually what unschooling is, the latter is usually what is presented on TV.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much what pp said. This is why home schooling needs to be better regulated everywhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN