Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My niece is choosing not to live with my sister because of my nephew. So sad.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies
My sister and her husband are getting divorced. My nephew is special needs, he's 14 with the mental capacity of a 5 year old but hitting puberty. Essentially, he gets a bit crazy when he's upset and will sometimes be a bit touchy And grabby in inappropriate ways. My niece is 16 and has always had major issues about resenting him and his needs and how much time it takes her parents away from her.

Yesterday, she told my sister she's living with her dad. When my sister asked why, she said she hates her brother and is sick of never being able to bring friends over because "he's a pervert" and hugs them. My sisters ex backed up his daughter completely. She left with him back to his place with her stuff yesterday.

I'm so appalled my niece said those things and that her father is enablingn her. My friend called her lawyer and her said because there's no custody agreement in place yet, she's free to go with him. My sister can't stop crying and feels so torn.

Any thoughts or advice for her? I'm lost on what to tell her except how sorry I am and that I'm there for her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM
25 moms liked this

If she wants to live with dad, mom should not stop her.  She's 16 and I'm sure she knows what she'd prefer.  There's nothing wrong with her dad backing her up.  She deserves a life too.

Shadowed_Star
by Neko‚̧Wolf on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM
3 moms liked this
I see no issue with this.
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM
She deserves a life too. Her father backing her up is not a bad thing
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM

When parents split up, the kids usually do live with one more than the other.  In this case, for the daughter, it happens to be dad.

The mom needs to work on maintaining the relationship with her daughter even though they no longer live together full time.  Weekends, etc.  They need a custody arrangment.  

Lostinindy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I think the issue should have been adressed long ago. Now she is free. I'm sorry for her mom, but she didn't change it sooner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I'd do the exact same thing. Poor girl.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I don't see a problem with that.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a SN sibling, I feel for the girl.
ajdahd13
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
You don't know what she's really been though. You're only hearing your sister's side.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM
I see no issue with this. Time apart may actually improve the relationship.

If your sister forces her to live there, be prepared for your nice to hate her for the rest of her life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)