Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Talk to me about New Orleans

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My FIL has a friend who owns a house in New Orleans near Bourbon Street. Next March, he's going to be in Austrailia for a month, and offered several people each their pick of a week to house sit. My FIL took the week of St. Patricks Day (March 12-20th, actually- slightly more than a week).

He also told FIL he was free to invite 1-2 people to stay with him if he wanted. So, FIL is offering to fly DH and I down (we live up in Michigan, FIL is in Florida), and cover food costs.

FIL and I are museum & history fans. DH would prefer a "Weed wacker to the eye over a day in a museum", but is willing to go along with us.

I've never been to New Orleans. Talk to me about the must do stuff, and the skip it stuff.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Replies (21-22):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Of all the things about New Orleans that I'm not excited for, it's the food. I have sensory issues, and tell people somewhat jokingly that I have the palate of a 5 year old ;) I figure I can find burgers or something here and there.

My husband, however, is planning to eat his way through all the seafood they offer. ;)

Quoting ripemango:

Commander's Palace = turtle soup

go to urbanspoon.com and just see what is regularly hailed in the area around FiLs house. make sure to have some crawfish etouffe...man i love that stuff. just walking down bourbon street and just letting the night take you where it leads is a blast. many people like to go to voodoo shops and get really wild looking Ouija boards, seances, palms read, black majic stuff, cemetery tours (there are some really cool looking cemeteries down there), just walk through the french quarter and garden district or take formal tours of them

Quoting onethentwins:

Fantastic food; Commander's Palace amongst others.  Jazz.  Voodoo. Booze that you can drink on the streets. Paddle steamer rides on the Mississippi.  Also in March, you might be there for Mardi Gras.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM

then he should def find some file gumbo...we usu just ask locals where can we get some good fill in the blank. hope u guys have a blast!

Quoting Anonymous:

Of all the things about New Orleans that I'm not excited for, it's the food. I have sensory issues, and tell people somewhat jokingly that I have the palate of a 5 year old ;) I figure I can find burgers or something here and there.My husband, however, is planning to eat his way through all the seafood they offer. ;)

Quoting ripemango:

Commander's Palace = turtle soup

go to urbanspoon.com and just see what is regularly hailed in the area around FiLs house. make sure to have some crawfish etouffe...man i love that stuff. just walking down bourbon street and just letting the night take you where it leads is a blast. many people like to go to voodoo shops and get really wild looking Ouija boards, seances, palms read, black majic stuff, cemetery tours (there are some really cool looking cemeteries down there), just walk through the french quarter and garden district or take formal tours of them

Quoting onethentwins:

Fantastic food; Commander's Palace amongst others.  Jazz.  Voodoo. Booze that you can drink on the streets. Paddle steamer rides on the Mississippi.  Also in March, you might be there for Mardi Gras.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN