Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

touchy situation, need ideas on how to deal with this..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
My 16 year old dd is spending the summer with her dad out of state and working as a hostess at a resort, this is her second year there. Last year her dad failed to ever mail her the last check and she was told she would get her money when she got there, she also had about $250 in a tax return that was promised upon arrival. Everything I talk to her she is lacking something, I've asked about her pay, she hasn't cashed her checks. He cell phone was down to 20 minutes and I wasn't sure she would be able to get ahold of me. I asked her about the money she had waiting and her dad and grandma told her they would pay her back each week out if their checks. She sent me pictures of her pay checks this time, about $600 total so far. Well, they finally went into her dad's account and she was told because she didn't have a state ID that she couldn't cash them, she was able to last year. So now her money is sitting in her dad's account :/ he did give her 20 to put more minutes on her phone.
I'm about to file paperwork to get help with his back support (it's been 2 years since we have seen a payment). I am putting off filing until she is on her way home. He is going to be mad! Calls cs a handout..
I'm looking for ideas on how to encourage my daughter to secure her pay and how much I should encourage her to pursue the issue if her dad won't hand it over. I know if she leaves without her pay her dad is highly likely to never send it her way!
My daughter got the job to save up braces. She wants that killer smile and has a plan to make it happen. I've been struggling a lot without the cs and can't not pursue it any longer. My dd is a runner and we had to keep her off track last year because I can't find a place to budget in the shoes :/ she could still do cross country this fall of she can pay her registration fee, but she hasn't gotten any of her money!
My daughter is working hard to keep doing the things she wants to work on for her future, she has always made strong financial choices and had proven she can handle her own money. Not only had me not been sprung her for two years, he is now withholding the money she earned at her job! My ex and I are not on speaking terms, all I can so is encourage her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:59 AM
I know it's long.. Shameless bump
chamamahaha
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Maybe shes helping her dad with something u dont know of, most kids font just let money disappear like that, so she may just be investing it differently then u thing, what do u think is happening
MelDyann
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:05 AM
Does she have a drivers license? She needs to have a bank account in her own name. Her checks should be deposited there. What her father's doing is wrong.
1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Can you set up a bank acct and have them direct deposited?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

can she just keep the checks and you cash them for her when she gets home

JenGo
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM

can she take her checks and keep them until she gets back to your house? does she have a bank account where you live? Are there chain banks that would have branches in both places?
Poor girl, that really sucks! I hope she can get everything sorted out.

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Has she tried a walmart or grocery store in the area she is at to cash them?? Or cash them at the bank they are from? I would not be letting him cash any of her checks till he gives her the money he owes from the ones she gave him already!! If she can't open a bank account she needs to find a place that will cash them. Walmart and grocery stores usually take a percentage but not much usually 10%, money tree or any pay day loan place. Something. And yes if he doesn't pay her back I would be going after him for the money.
sarastanley88
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:17 AM
What the fuck. She would be coming home right away
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

So he's stealing her checks? Tell her to just keep them and don't give them to him and if he takes them to call the police. Not joking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)