Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cockroaches! GAHHHH! Help!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
We moved into this house a month ago. It's from. 1878 and I am so INLOVE with it!
Well for the last 2 weeks when I have went down stairs (in our creepy old unfinished basement) to put the clothes in the dryer we noticed a fucking small (about a inch or a little under) light brown flat bodied roach on the washer!!! We have not been able to kill it since we only see him like 2 times a week and he usually scurries off but today I smoshed the effer. I have never seen one in up stairs in the house only in the basement.

Why would roaches be in my basement? My house is spotless and I've never had them before!
Are they common? We can't afford even the cheapest exterminator because my fiancé (father of my children) has medical bills that are taking any extra money we have
What do i do?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:24 AM
They love old homes and wet, dark places. Boric acid mixed with powdered sugar or get some roach gel, also caulk any small gaps and check for wet spots in the basement.
Roaches are foragers, they send out scouts to find food and water and once they do, that's when infestations happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Are you sure it is even a roach? We live in an old house as well and we have palmetto bugs in our basement, but only in the summer. Sorry about the bug problem I have no idea how to rid yourself of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:26 AM
Once you have roaches, they're there for life.
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:26 AM

I would just throw down some of those sticky traps and make DH deal with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:28 AM
You admit this to Mom Confessions of all places?
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM
I'd move! I hate roaches! This is a post i would go anon on op!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Look for water sources or leaks, and make sure there is no standing water.  Also, Boric Acid is your friend.  Spread it around the perimeter of your basement and underneath appliances.  Sweep it up every now and then and replace it with more.  We didn't put sugar in ours.  We had an old house as well, and the neighbors left their beer trash next to our house, and they came looking.  It took a while to get rid of them, but they finally left after the acid.  And then we moved.  Twice.  LOL  I hope they don't infest your basement!!  Boric acid we got at Lowe's for 5$ or so, I think.  GL!!

kadcas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Fill a small pie pan with coke and they will go there and drown. I grew up in Hawaii and they have huge clock roaches, flying one's too!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM

This. I bought a house and everything was fine. My neighbors moved and that's when I started seeing roaches. I hired a professional who was spraying my entire house every 2 weeks.....I hated having all of those chemicals around my kids. This continued for 6 months when I put the house up for sale. I loved my house, but couldn't stand living like that. I was very careful when I packed to move and I haven't seen a roach in my new home ever. I'm afraid you're stuck with them because where there's one, there's thousands. 

Quoting Anonymous: Once you have roaches, they're there for life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)