Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When Do I report to social security I am working

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I received SSI do to a health issue I just started working on July 10th.I need to know when do I let them know I am working do I let them know now or after I get my first paycheck I make 8.81 a hour would they cut my benefits I know you can't go over a certain amount.I needed a job because the monthly income I was getting only covered my rent.My mom and father were paying the rest of my bills I get 648.00 I work part time as a custodian for the Army lodging hotel on base.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:31 AM

You have to tell them right away, like when you found out you got the job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I think it's within ten days. Hey it's great that you are getting off of SSI, a step in a good direction good luck.

Pinkmommy0211
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:37 AM
The second you found out you had the job
Pinkmommy0211
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:38 AM
You do know that some people get ssi because they are permanently disabled right?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's within ten days. Hey it's great that you are getting off of SSI, a step in a good direction good luck.

kzoboe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I would tell them ASAP. I don't know whether they will cut your benefits or not.  There might be some info on the Social Security website (if you haven't checked it out already).  I

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to notify then within 10 days of a change.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM
You can get SSI and work. Working does not mean she will lose her benefits.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Derp, obviously I know what it is and in OP's case she isn't permanently disabled to the point she can't work or she wouldn't be working. So is it a bad thing to congratulate someone for getting into a better situation? Or should I shame her for deciding to go out on her own?

Quoting Pinkmommy0211: You do know that some people get ssi because they are permanently disabled right?
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I realize she won't lose all of her benefit but she does stand to lose a substantial amount per their website

Working and SSI Benefits

You can begin to work and continue to receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and other resources do not exceed the SSA’s income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.

Here's how the SSA reduces your income. If your only income is from your job, the SSA does not include the first $85 you earn toward your countable income. After the $85 adjustment, the SSA will deduct 50 cents for every dollar you earn from your monthly benefits. Here is an example of a person who earns $1,070 a month from working: $1,070 - $85 = $985 ÷ 2 = $492.50. The individual’s monthly SSI benefit amount would be reduced by $492.50.

Which if she works 20 hours a week at the wage she listed here she would only be capable of recieving about 363 dollars a month from SSI.

Quoting Anonymous: You can get SSI and work. Working does not mean she will lose her benefits.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN