Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whaling

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:44 AM
  • 21 Replies
If you have ever seen an ad for Whale Wars you know that some cultures still practice whaling and the sale of whale meat. I would like to know your thoughts on this however I would like to lay some facts before you, before you comment.

I am against this practice,wait!keep reading. Not only because of the creatures involved but because of the creatures involved. Confused? Well you see whale meat, and dolphin meat(which is sometimes labeled and passed out as whale meat) contains high levels of mercury and other toxins.
In humans, even low-level mercury poisoning has been found to cause memory loss, hair loss, fatigue, depression, difficulty concentrating, tremors and headaches. Elevated levels of mercury can lead to heart disease in humans and marine mammals.

It is very hard for the body to eliminate. A study found that liver samples for sale in Japan contained, on average, 370 micrograms of mercury per gram of meat, 900 times the government's limit. Levels detected in kidneys and lungs were approximately 100 times higher than the limit.

So ladies, your thoughts?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM
Bump.
SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Bump
SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Bump.
mostlyharmless
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:53 AM

So... you're against whaling because of the mercury?

mostlyharmless
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Anyway, that's true not just of whales and dolphins, but any marine animal with a relatively long lifespan. Shark and swordfish have the highest amounts of mercury, for example... I think, as far as the mercury craze goes, they actually pose a higher threat than... whale meat. 

SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:57 AM
No. I'm against it because I find the whales and dolphins to be beautiful and intelligent creatures. Their social structures are fascinating. But the mercury is another reason, and a good solid one that can be proven and should not be scoffed at. Which is often what happens when you say you are against it because you respect the creatures themselves.

Quoting mostlyharmless:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:59 AM

I think that if the Japanese want to continue to eat whale meat then who am I to tell them they can't?

SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:00 AM
I am aware of that however the whales and dolphins are more beloved by humans,and to bring attention to the issue you have to GET peoples attention first. Then you can move on and point out other animals that are harmful to eat, which will hopefully cut into the numbers affected by fishing, shark fining, and many other means of capture and kill.

Quoting mostlyharmless:

Anyway, that's true not just of whales and dolphins, but any marine animal with a relatively long lifespan. Shark and swordfish have the highest amounts of mercury, for example... I think, as far as the mercury craze goes, they actually pose a higher threat than... whale meat. 

SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM
I'm not saying you have to jump on the bandwagon however at one point they were handing out dolphin meat free at schools. Which might sound good, until you learn they were handing out something toxic to children. It has since been discontinued but it could have done actual harm.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that if the Japanese want to continue to eat whale meat then who am I to tell them they can't?

mostlyharmless
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:03 AM

...who the hell "scoffs" at you? Almost no one supports illegal whaling...?
Additionally, the food industry doesn't see the majority of whale material, it's black market. The mercury thing is almost irrelevant. The Japanese do have high mercury levels, but that's been attributed to the fact that they are an isolated island and they eat, primarily, seafood, but at the same time, they have statistically higher life spans. 

I just feel like I'm not getting how this is a "better" argument haha, and also, who here (or honestly, anywhere in the Americas) do you think supports whaling? 

Quoting SuchAKillJoy: No. I'm against it because I find the whales and dolphins to be beautiful and intelligent creatures. Their social structures are fascinating. But the mercury is another reason, and a good solid one that can be proven and should not be scoffed at. Which is often what happens when you say you are against it because you respect the creatures themselves.
Quoting mostlyharmless:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)