Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I treat my 8 year old like a baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My friend seems to think I do. I was speaking to my friend and I mentioned that I do not like for my daughter to be up in the middle of the night wondering around the house by herself. If she wakes up she wakes me up. He made the comment that she is eight years old why can't she be up in the middle of the night by herself. Then another time I told him that for hee birthday we have a birthday that all of her friends are invited to. However the day before or a few days before her birthday I plan a special mommy and daughter only birthday day trip. He made the comment that shes getting older and wants to spend time with her friends. Also, I dont let her wander around in the parking lot, I dont let her run around in the grocery store by herself, and I dont leave her at home by herself. Keep in mind that my daughter has not complained that I baby her and my friend who is making these comments does not have any children and has not spent an extensive amount of time around children. But this is my only child so I am asking the question.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:12 AM
6 moms liked this
She's 8 not 18. Your friend is an idiot
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:14 AM

no I think you are concerned about her safety as any GOOD mom shoud. Tell your friend to put a cork in it and come say something when he has kids of his own. lol

kss12
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:16 AM
I think you're just being a mom.
I wouldn't let my 8 year old do those things either.
Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

He's talking out of his ass. Ignore him or tell him to pipe down. 

Quoting Anonymous: My friend seems to think I do. I was speaking to my friend and I mentioned that I do not like for my daughter to be up in the middle of the night wondering around the house by herself. If she wakes up she wakes me up. He made the comment that she is eight years old why can't she be up in the middle of the night by herself. Then another time I told him that for hee birthday we have a birthday that all of her friends are invited to. However the day before or a few days before her birthday I plan a special mommy and daughter only birthday day trip. He made the comment that shes getting older and wants to spend time with her friends. Also, I dont let her wander around in the parking lot, I dont let her run around in the grocery store by herself, and I dont leave her at home by herself. Keep in mind that my daughter has not complained that I baby her and my friend who is making these comments does not have any children and has not spent an extensive amount of time around children. But this is my only child so I am asking the question.

readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

its nice you want the mommy and me time, ask her to plan it and you will know if she still wants it.

out of the house, yes she is too young; in the middle of the night, I would be curious too. Let her have alone time as well as time with friends.

Larae1990
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell him he's not her father or your husband so his opinions aren't needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought so, but I wanted to ask the question anyway. I will just ignore him next time :-).

Quoting Mrs-Somerhalder:

He's talking out of his ass. Ignore him or tell him to pipe down. 

Quoting Anonymous: My friend seems to think I do. I was speaking to my friend and I mentioned that I do not like for my daughter to be up in the middle of the night wondering around the house by herself. If she wakes up she wakes me up. He made the comment that she is eight years old why can't she be up in the middle of the night by herself. Then another time I told him that for hee birthday we have a birthday that all of her friends are invited to. However the day before or a few days before her birthday I plan a special mommy and daughter only birthday day trip. He made the comment that shes getting older and wants to spend time with her friends. Also, I dont let her wander around in the parking lot, I dont let her run around in the grocery store by herself, and I dont leave her at home by herself. Keep in mind that my daughter has not complained that I baby her and my friend who is making these comments does not have any children and has not spent an extensive amount of time around children. But this is my only child so I am asking the question.

Basherte
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

If your daughter seems to be fine with it then I wouldn't worry about it. She's 8. When she wants to spend less time with you she'll let you know. Whether it be straight out or in other ways. 

You'll know. Don't ever stop the few days before the birthday party having a mommy/daughter day of fun. (just make sure you change each year to fit her age and likes) She will grow to LOVE that time spent with you alone. (what I mean by that is that she will look forward to that, as being one of the best days of the year for her. That no matter what is going on you and her have a day that is just spent together. The two of you.) I want to start doing that with my son... (I don't have a little girl)

gradysmom2006
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM
I agree with you on everything except the waking you up thing.

My kids are 8 and 4 and don't wake me up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Usually I come up with about two to three options of things that I know she likes and I let her make the final decision on what we do. But next year I will let her plan it and see what happens. Usually when it is almost her birthday she will ask me what are we doing for the birthday trip.

Quoting readyforhim:

its nice you want the mommy and me time, ask her to plan it and you will know if she still wants it.

out of the house, yes she is too young; in the middle of the night, I would be curious too. Let her have alone time as well as time with friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN