Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saw a family get kicked out of a restaurant because of a crying child :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 380 Replies
4 moms liked this
My mil had her birthday dinner last night at a very fancy restaurant. We got a sitter for my DS5 because it didn't have a kids menu and seemed like the kind of place with fancy food and a boring atmosphere for a little. I was right.

Two tables over, a mom was there with a party of 6. It looked like her hubs parents and her parents and her little boy who was about 3-4 looking. He started to cry and whine and I could hear from out table it was cause he was hungry. She kept shushing him but he was crying loud. Then when his food got there he started to cry louder cause it wasn't what he wanted. In fairness, it was a fancy meal that didn't look appetizing to a little.

The manager came over and said she'd have to "remove him" because he was "disturbing the other patrons". She looked surprised and said "he's a little kid..." And he said "that doesn't matter, this is an adult establishment, you're not entitled to disturb everyone else. You can get him calmed down and come back or we can pack your food to go now". She was in tears when she packed him up, she said she was going home and her hubs got up, but the rest of her family stayed!

I was so disgusted that someone would speak to a mom like that! The worst part? My FIL said "good, it was about time someone shut that kid up". My FIL is a big fighter so I kept my mouth shut, but I was super annoyed and won't be going back there.

WDYT?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
19 moms liked this

I think you were right to get a sitter for your kid.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
75 moms liked this

The manager has the right to keep the establishment with an atmosphere attractive to the target customers. If you bring children to a non-child-friendly place, you have to be prepared to entertain them or leave if they act up. Such is life.

1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
11 moms liked this
Holy troll batman, at least you have nice grammar, and paragraph structure.
IHopeYouDance
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
14 moms liked this
Good. If the kid was fussy, mom should have taken him out. No one wants to hear a little brat whining and ruining the meal.
katydid150
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
9 moms liked this

It was a non-child friendly restaurant, they were right to kick out the crying kid. Mom or dad should have gotten a sitter or controlled him. 

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
11 moms liked this
I think the manager handled it well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
21 moms liked this
Your father in law was 100% right. If he was crying and carrying on loud and long enough that you knew what he was upset about, it was time for him to be shut up, but his lazy parents chose to do nothing about it.

The world doesn't revolve around your kids and they're not welcome eveywhere, particularly when they can't behave appropriately for the atmosphere. Bravo to the management! Not everyone else deserves to have their night out ruined by a crying brat because his parents feel they're entitled to ignore his atrocious behavior in somewhere they shouldn't have brought him in the first place.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I think if I was at an expensive placw to eat, I wouldnt want to be disturbed by a crying child either

Not every place is family friendly. If you want a family meal, go to Applebees
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
9 moms liked this

I am for restaurants that obviously do not cater to children asking her to leave or quiet the child down. How is that rude? I have 4 children if any of them acted that way (I would not go to those kids of restaurants with them) I would leave willingly before anyone even said anything to me.

Spam72
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
17 moms liked this
Sometimes people are so inconsiderate about their snowflakes that you have to be rude to get them to behave with common decency.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN