Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It irks me when people don't even try to save money.

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
  • 175 Replies
2 moms liked this

Okay, yes, it's their money & they can spend it how they see fit.  I have no say and it's none of my business.  But, still, it irks me.

For example, I got behind a lady at Bi-Lo the other day. 

(For those of you that don't have Bi-Lo in your area, they have ridiculously high every day prices, but they make up for it by having great deals & B1G1's most times.  You need their savings card to take advantage of the deals, which is free & easy to sign up for, and even saves you on gas.)

This lady had a buggy OVERFLOWING.  She bought all name brand stuff & I even noticed some things that she bought had very similar options that were on sale, but she chose not to get them.  She also did not use a bonus card.  She was then asked to sign up for one, and she declined.

Once she was done, her total was nearly $300.  That made me sick because I knew she probably could've saved about $100 of that if she put in a tiny bit of effort.

Then I went through in all my thriftiness, and got about $150 worth of stuff for $80.

I have seen this on multiple occasions in grocery stores, department stores, etc.  I have seen people not pick up a coupon that was right in front of their face to save 20% off their purchase!!

I honestly don't get this mentality.  Why would you not want to save money?  Is your income that disposeable?  You could be putting that money you saved into your savings account, kid's college fund, donating to charity, etc.  Anything is beter than putting it into huge corporations' pockets, especially when they *give* you opportunities to save, and *expect* you to use them.

Is anybody else like this? What is your take on it?

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keisha613
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't worry what other people do with their money. Who knows, maybe they are that wealthy, they don't have to bother with coupons or member cards that pretty much just track you and what you buy.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
She probably is just very brand loyal and didn't want to bother with a rewards card...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey, their overspending is what keeps the doors open.
Zombienator9
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe she planned on only going there once, who knows. Maybe she was buying things that were work credited for. I don't pay attention or judge.
teenkabear
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Quoting keisha613: I don't worry what other people do with their money. Who knows, maybe they are that wealthy, they don't have to bother with coupons or member cards that pretty much just track you and what you buy.

Just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you should just throw away money.

Also, I don't mind being tracked for marketing purposes.  I like getting coupons & saving on things that I am going to buy anyway.

Like I said, I know it's their money & they can spend it as they choose, it still just irks me.

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I don't even pay attention to what others spend at the store. I'm on my phone until it is my turn to check out.

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Guess they don't want to look poor.

I wonder if she throws her change away too?

MilkLover0203
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM
13 moms liked this
You're kinda creepy looking that hard into someone else's buggy which I'm assuming is a cart.
Pinkmommy0211
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
There are some things that I have to have name brand. Cereal, chips, ketchup, mayo etc. And some times a coupon does not help.

But I normally buy what is on sale at the grocery store. A few weeks ago my name brand Cereal wasn't on sale so I bought the store brand, but won't ever again. It was stale and gross.

The only thing that I don't buy on sale is the babies food and snacks.

When we are shopping for clothes, we most shop at Kmart because of A my members rewards card, and they are always having 50-7p% off clothes. And then if we go to Wal-Mart we get what is on sale. For the babies they have a huge section of onsies that are 3.25 a piece. And they are really cute.
Kriskash25
by Kristina on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM
My mom was this way, they were wealthy and she lost sight of try to save! Once they retired she really struggled trying to adjust to checking prices!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)