Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girl at my DS's day camp slapped a special needs boy...WDYT?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 146 Replies
My DS is 12 and is in a day camp run by one of the schools around here. My older dd is a counsellor which is how I know about all this.

One of the boys in his group had special needs, I'm not sure exactly what, but he has an aide/extra counsellor that helps him out all day. On Friday, when they were going to the pool, one of the girls was in her bathing suit and it obviously showed off her breasts more than a shirt would. The SN boy said "whoaaaaa" and grabbed them. She slapped him hard across the face and shoved him, he fell down in tears and she said "you're so gross, get away from me" and started to cry.

The boy has been kicked out of camp, she's allowed to return on Monday. His mother is absolutely livid and is talking about suing, bad press, the whole none yards. His counsellor that should have been watching him got fired as well. What do you think about how they handled it and what she did?

Personally, I think she should have been punished too and he should be allowed to come back, but not around her. WDYT?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom121812
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM
35 moms liked this
He sexually assulted her regardless of his mental state (sounds like he knew what he was doing). She was defending her self. She should not get in trouble in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gianna2014
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM
8 moms liked this

I think they handled it well. The girl was sexually assualted and she stood up for herself... good for her! The counselor/aide should have been right there with the boy doing their job... they weren't, they got fired, that's the consequence.

It sounds like the boy shouldn't have been there in the first place if he is that diificult to control. If he does this as an adult, he would be arrested, SN or not... It's a learning experience.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM
4 moms liked this

Good for the girl. She does not deserve to be sexually assaulted just because a boy has special needs.

youngstepmom512
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk the extent of his SN, but it doesn't matter, a girl should have the right to walk around without being sexually violated. She shouldn't be punished for defending herself, she is a young girl and was violated
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM
6 moms liked this

You think she should be punished for reacting when someone grabbed her breasts?  I have no problem with her reaction, it is age appropriate.  The fact that he is SN doesn't change that fact.  Maybe the mother should teach him not to grab girls rather than spending time going to the press or suing over something so ridiculous.  I don't see why the counselor was fired. 

Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM
This. And if the SN boy isn't capable of controlling his hormones, his mother needs to provide additional companions to make him safe.

Quoting newmom121812: He sexually assulted her regardless of his mental state (sounds like he knew what he was doing). She was defending her self. She should not get in trouble in my opinion.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

She should be punished for defending herself from a sexual assault? Why? He should not be allowed to come back this year or any other year. Period. She should not feel unsafe at camp nor should any other camper because of this boy. 

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM
He was out of line...
TheLadyAmalthea
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM
6 moms liked this

It's hard. My son has autism and doesn't understand that you can't do certain things. That being said, there is no way I'd ever let him get away with something like that. I would be mortified if he did something like that and I would personally pull him out of the camp. Just because a kid has special needs doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. These kinds of parents make the responsible ones look bad. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM
4 moms liked this

They handled it as best they could. If I was a director, I would tell the kids mom to go ahead and go to the media, because i am sure they would be thrilled to hear about how she is expecting her son to get away with sexually assaulting a girl. 

Boy or girl, both of my children know that if someone touches them in a disrespectful manner, they can defend themselves physically. Good for that girl for not putting up with that shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)