Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thumb sucking is for babies

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM
  • 55 Replies
My ds 1yr sucks his thumbs. The last few days his thumbs look like he's sucking them so much or so hard that the tips are red and blistered. I'll post a pic if needed. Anyone else have this happen? I try to get him interested in a paci but he doesn't want it. He's Fed plenty so I know it's only for comfort. He eats almost as much as I do on top of nursing 3-4x per day. Will it go away on his own as his thumb adjusts to the way he's sucking? Or got any advice?

Eta I'm asking about the blistering. Is that normal? .
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Bump
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Maybe you could buckle down and seriously wean him from the thumb? I've heard it's hard but clearly thumb-sucking is not working out so well for him :\

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Bump
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I sucked my thumb until 6th grade. My mom tried everything to get me to quit. Sewed mittens on my pajama, painted my nails with bitter nail polish, rode my ass about it, lol. I gave myself an over bite that required braces to fix too.

Try to get him to stop now and save yourself heartache and expense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure. My 20 month old sucks her 2 middle fingers on her left hand. She been doing it since she was a few weeks old. It's a comfort thing for her. Have no idea how to get her to stop either. We have tried pacifiers but she doesn't like them. She sucks them so much she causes blisters too. So far, we just leaving it alone. Her pediatrician said she'll outgrow it soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

it may go away, it may not. im 28 and still suck my thumb, my oldest brother does too.

skittlefart
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I sucked my thumb till I was about 4 or 5 years old. My mom put hot sauce on it and she said I stopped after that, but I wouldn't recommend doing that to a 1 year old

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

My 3 year old still does it. Sorry.

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I encourage my 3yr old to only suck at sleepy times buts he still sucks a lot daily its a comfort thing for her and the dentist isn't really worried about it so i leave her alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)