Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SUCCESS!! - and the angels sang a mighty tune! Nico is Off Leash!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is not important so move on unless you like dogs.

Nico the magnificient AKA Mister Pickles - our trouble dog who I thought would NEVER be an off leash dog - went on a walk today - and half of it was OFF LEASH with no incidents of misbehavior!!!!

This dog was reactive and agressive and wore a muzzle 90% of his outings.

The last year he's gotten so good no muzzle in most circumstances

and today - after a long hot walk by the river - he officially went off leash!!!!

It was pretty deserted, and he had behaved so well on the way out - we experiements and he did fantastic!!!!!

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Hurray for good doggies!
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM

He's 4.5 still we are not ready to treat him like the other two since I still don't have confidence that if he is in defense mode that he won't do as he wishes - but this is a HUGE step, I honestly never thought he'd be off leash in any circumstance.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I'm so proud of him!

Quoting Danesmommy1: Hurray for good doggies!

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I knew he was ready when some kids ran up to Indigo on our way out and he got a bit upset but still listened and sat and stayed calm as I instructed.

Oh and yet another gentle reminder to you parents - stop letting your gremlins run up to strange dogs!

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I know this isn't your kids first piss in a plastic bucket, or their first blurt of noise that sounds like momma.. but this is monumental to us!

Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Yay!!!
I'm lucky my boy is so good. We live in the woods and he visits everyone. My parents, my aunt, my grandparents and my cousin. They all love him...except my mom bcuz he chases the cats. I don't see a problem bcuz if they stop he runs lol He's a wuss.

But he sleeps with my aunt sometimes, he walks properly with my grandpa, he plays with my cousins American bulldog mix. He's an amazing dog. We've always had to leash or keep pur dogs inside or in. A pen when outside due to complaints. Not him.

I'm glad your boy is making progress
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Awesome! I can't wait until the day when I feel safe letting our Cooper off the leash.  

He's freaked out by kids if they appear to be walking towards him. He either 1) tries to run away or 2) will try to get them before they get him. Yet we've got him to a point where a kid can walk beside him no problem. If he happens to be off leash -like when I am taking them out to put them in the car or yard- and sees a kid he will hightail it out of there.  He hid under my van for almost an hour -we tried pulling him out, bribing him, and getting under there with him but he wasn't moving- because my neighbors kids - the ones he doesn't know-  were outside while my foster daughter was trying to take him for his walk.. When he saw the coast was clear, he came out and sat on the porch. 

Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I agree with this for boths protection. ..but I was guilty of this when I was young. Even junk yard dogs. I wasn't scared. Never ran but would walk up to them

Quoting Foolynroo2:

I knew he was ready when some kids ran up to Indigo on our way out and he got a bit upset but still listened and sat and stayed calm as I instructed.

Oh and yet another gentle reminder to you parents - stop letting your gremlins run up to strange dogs!

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM

It's just good knowing I have a healthy fright free dog. And of course the added protection that he can be trusted is always nice!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Awesome! I can't wait until the day when I feel safe letting our Cooper off the leash.  

He's freaked out by kids if they appear to be walking towards him. He either 1) tries to run away or 2) will try to get them before they get him. Yet we've got him to a point where a kid can walk beside him no problem. If he happens to be off leash -like when I am taking them out to put them in the car or yard- and sees a kid he will hightail it out of there.  He hid under my van for almost an hour -we tried pulling him out, bribing him, and getting under there with him but he wasn't moving- because my neighbors kids - the ones he doesn't know-  were outside while my foster daughter was trying to take him for his walk.. When he saw the coast was clear, he came out and sat on the porch. 

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM

It's crazy insane that these people watch and even smile as their kids go shreiking and chasing strange dogs.

Thankfuly our INidog is a sweetheart.

but Echo and Nico both do not like people much , Echo shows it by ignoring their existence. Nico shows it with agression. but when they both see kids running and screetching towards their bitch, they both get excited and defensive.

Echo knows his humans will take care of it, Nico is just learning that it's okay and to let us handle it. He has super strong instincts.

Quoting Young_Mommy89: I agree with this for boths protection. ..but I was guilty of this when I was young. Even junk yard dogs. I wasn't scared. Never ran but would walk up to them
Quoting Foolynroo2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN