Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mouthy 6 year old.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
No matter what she is asked she answers with an attitude. Yells all the time.
Half asses whatever she is supposed to do or lies about doing it. Or flat out refuses.
She will throw herself down and cry like a toddler.
I am at the end of what I can handle. I don't know where I went wrong or how to fix it.
She has almost always been challenging, but it's taken a turn for much worse recently.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

She need consequences for her actions.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any PC advice.
Shadowed_Star
by Neko‚̧Wolf on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:13 PM
I would spank that brat.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM
How do you handle being frustrated? Do you yell a lot?

My advice would to be teach her to use her words. Ignore her if she is not speaking nicely. If she refuses to do something give her a consequence that makes sense to the action.

Do not argue with her, do not yell at her.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Do you follow through on what you say?
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM
My two six year olds def get an attitude from time to time. Quickest fix will be consistent consequences. I don't put up with it. They're allowed to be grumpy but not sassy. Also, make sure you are modeling how to act. You yell a lot, so will she. Yelling has no place in discipline.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM
She has them. They don't impact her one bit.

Quoting KylesWifey:

She need consequences for her actions.

bpaqjax
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

well maybe think about how you talk to her.  do you yell at her and give her attitude? children often mirror you.  i have always spoke to my son like he's an adult.  he's 6 and he was on honor roll last year, got a certificate of excellence, does his homework, cleans his room, talks to me with respect.  only thing i seem to have an issue with is whining but when it gets too much for me i threaten to take the video games away.  works like a charm.  btw not trying to one-up you at all (i hate that crap) but i'm just trying to use myself as an example of how talking with your children about the consequences of their actions instead of focusing on punishment works.  trust me i have my bad days and have yelled before.  in those situations i apologize and tell him it's not okay what i did.  my ability to apologize helps him.  when he apologizes he does it all on his own and feels sincerely sorry for what he did, sometimes he even cries out of guilt.  i know my style might not work for everybody but it works for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

She needs consistent consequences for her actions. Consequences where you NEVER back down. As in, if you say she needs a time out, her ass sits there until time is up. If she gets up, you put her back in that chair and the timer re-starts until she can sit the full time. Let her test you for hours if need be, the point is to break her and show her what's up. That's only an example of course but that should go for whatever you do. She doesn't call the shots, YOU do. Never back down, never give in.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

My 6 year old son was acting this way most of the summer. I started making him write sentences. 5 sentences for a crime. If he recommits the same crime it is up by 5. He has only repeated a crime once.

I figure he will learn his lesson OR have the best penmanship in his 1st grade class. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)