Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Come out, come out whoever you are

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 122 Replies
2 moms liked this

I recently was asked by an "anonymous" person if every post I commented on included an insult. My reply to her was I only replied with an insult when people were utterly awful about other people without cause. I also am fairly scathing to anonymous OPs who created "troll" type posts about topics including numerous abortions (posting this with pride), outlandishly absurd behavior or actions, blatant parenting fails, and other scenarios that have me shaking my head, causing my jaw to drop in shock, or making me instantly think WTF is wrong with this woman?

Often, my honesty isn't meant to be an insult, but it comes off that way sometimes. I'm not perfect, but I can admit when I'm wrong, and I don't hide behind the "anonymous" shield. Maybe if I did, everyone would think I was "Susie Sunshine" or something untrue. I've met very few women and men who are contenders for sainthood, and I'm certainly not either. 

When moms post about really awesome things like the arrivals of new babies, charitable deeds, and post pics of new babies, nieces, grandchildren, etc., I always congratulate and have something positive or "warm and fuzzy" to say. It's my nature to be honest, 

Anyhoo, I digress from the original point of this post. The only reason this particular anonymous person was able to track my commentary on posts is because I refuse to hide behind the shield of anonymity like so many people do. I understand some people might choose to remain anonymous, because they would be judged harshly by other moms in mass, but for the most part, why are grown women always so quick to hide behind an anonymous shield?

It seems cowardly, and it always seems like those anonymous responders are ruder and more insulting than I could ever think about being when I respond. 

Do you hide behind an anonymous shield out of fear of repercussion, or because you want to show your worst side, or is there another reason? Which of you moms out there are brave enough to use your screenname to share your thoughts, insights, and opinions without caring about the potential backlash of others? For those of you who do, I commend you. 

I think, excepting the "harshly judged moms" scenario, it's time to stop hiding behind your anonymous comfort zones and be real, including accepting the consequences of someone who may not agree with you. (Well, as real as you can be behind a computer screen). In my profession, transparency is key, and it has been the way I've governed myself on CM for better or wose. 

Am I alone in this sentiment of thinking it better to be transparent and post without hiding behind an "anon" curtain, or do some of you feel the same? I'm genuinely curious.  

EDIT to the original: The post is long as hell so skim it and comment if you choose. I've gotten some great advice, made my profile private thanks to some of the horror stories shared, and had a few "anon" smartasses. After women could take something seemingly innocent and turn it into a jerk fest, I now get the anon feature. Thanks :)

P.S. I'm sure if I posted about how beautiful Angora rabbits were, someone would have something shitty to say. Mom groups are a trip! 

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Too long. You had me at the first 150 paragraphs......

Quoting ivyam:

I recently was asked by an "anonymous" person if every post I commented on included an insult. My reply to her was I only replied with an insult when people were utterly awful about other people without cause. I also am fairly scathing to anonymous OPs who created "troll" type posts about topics including numerous abortions (posting this with pride), outlandishly absurd behavior or actions, blatant parenting fails, and other scenarios that have me shaking my head, causing my jaw to drop in shock, or making me instantly think WTF is wrong with this woman?

Often, my honesty isn't meant to be an insult, but it comes off that way sometimes. I'm not perfect, but I can admit when I'm wrong, and I don't hide behind the "anonymous" shield. Maybe if I did, everyone would think I was "Susie Sunshine" or something untrue. I've met very few women and men who are contenders for sainthood, and I'm certainly not either. 

When moms post about really awesome things like the arrivals of new babies, charitable deeds, and post pics of new babies, nieces, grandchildren, etc., I always congratulate and have something positive or "warm and fuzzy" to say. It's my nature to be honest, 

Anyhoo, I digress from the original point of this post. The only reason this particular anonymous person was able to track my commentary on posts is because I refuse to hide behind the shield of anonymity like so many people do. I understand some people might choose to remain anonymous, because they would be judged harshly by other moms in mass, but for the most part, why are grown women always so quick to hide behind an anonymous shield?

It seems cowardly, and it always seems like those anonymous responders are ruder and more insulting than I could ever think about being when I respond. 

Do you hide behind an anonymous shield out of fear of repercussion, or because you want to show your worst side, or is there another reason? Which of you moms out there are brave enough to use your screenname to share your thoughts, insights, and opinions without caring about the potential backlash of others? For those of you who do, I commend you. 

I think, excepting the "harshly judged moms" scenario, it's time to stop hiding behind your anonymous comfort zones and be real, including accepting the consequences of someone who may not agree with you. (Well, as real as you can be behind a computer screen). In my profession, transparency is key, and it has been the way I've governed myself on CM for better or wose. 

Am I alone in this sentiment of thinking it better to be transparent and post without hiding behind an "anon" curtain, or do some of you feel the same? I'm genuinely curious.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this
How about a condensed version...I am kind of tired.
by Spider.Bully on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't take too much seriously on here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this
A lot of rude anons, are nice sn'ers. They like the anonymity to be as rude as they want without tarnishing their "so nice and awesome" reputation
ivyam
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM

But you get the general gist of what I'm asking, I'm assuming. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Too long. You had me at the first 150 paragraphs......

Quoting ivyam:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm. Basically, if you're anon, you're a coward. Does anyone agree?

Quoting Missdameanor: How about a condensed version...I am kind of tired.
ivyam
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I tend to be too longwinded at times. 

ivyam
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Precious. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Mobile Photo

Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM
6 moms liked this
I think it is pointless to join a group with the anon feature and then bitch about it...but that's just me =)

Quoting Anonymous: Hmmmm. Basically, if you're anon, you're a coward. Does anyone agree?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)