Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

An oldie but a goodie... Update with a twist.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM
  • 39 Replies

I'm sure this has been done here, but not while I've been here, and it's always a fun debate.

Everyone has heard the story about the Wife, the Husband, the Lover, the Assassin and the Boatman. In case you haven't, or if you're fuzzy on it, I'll repeat (doing this from memory):

A married couple live in a house on one side of a river. The wife has a lover who lives on the other side. The only way to get across the river is to walk across the bridge or to pay the boatman.

The husband has to go on an overnight business trip to a faraway town. The wife pleads with him to take her with him. She knows if that he doesn't she will be unfaithful to him. The husband absolutely refuses to take her because she will only be in the way of his important business. So the husband goes alone.

That night, the wife goes over the bridge and stays with her lover. Dawn is almost up when the wife leaves because she must be back home before her husband returns. She starts walking across the bridge but sees an assassin waiting for her on the other side. She knows if she tries to cross, he will murder her. In terror, she runs up the side of the river and asks the boatman to take her across the river, but he wants too much money. She doesn't have enough, so he refuses to take her.

The wife runs back to the lover's house and explains her predicament and asks him to pay the boatman. The lover refuses, telling her it's her own fault for getting into this situation. As dawn comes up the wife decides to dash across the bridge. She comes face to face with the assassin and he kills her.

So in order out of the 5 characters - Husband, Wife, Lover, Assassin, Boatman - who is most to least responsible for the wife's death?

There is a little 'psych test' that's supposed to go with it; each of the 5 characters represent something and the order you list them is supposed to be the order of importance of those things in your life.

After you've chosen your order, highlight below to see what each represents:

Lover = Sex
Wife = Fun (could also mean contentment)
Assassin = Money
Boatman = Magic (could also mean luck)
Husband = Love

I don't actually think it is accurate, however it's always interesting to see people's reasoning for who's most and least responsible. 

UPDATE:

Most people put the wife 1st or 2nd it seems (myself included), like the bitch got what she deserved for cheating and for risking her life to cover her cheating.

Okay, what if she wasn't cheating-- let's say she went to the store to get food for dinner. 

She has a kid at home (who is old enough to stay home a couple of hours, but not by himself overnight). She's rushing to get back to him.

Instead of the lover, it's a store merchant that refused to help her, loan her money or exchange the food to give her money back.

Okay-- is the wife still up at the #1 or #2 spot if she's a faithful wife & good mother? 

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Here's my take on who's responsible

1) the assassin-- because, like, he kills people. Hello. 

2) the wife-- she should not have risked her life. She should have just taken her chances with her husband being angry.

3) the lover-- he should have given her the money to get home safely. He knew she was in danger.

4) the boatman-- he should have helped her seeing how she was desperate. If she told him about the assassin, he ties with the lover. 

5) the husband-- you could argue he put his job before his wife, but he didn't know what was going on. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM
I disagree. The wife is first. She shouldn't have been cheating. If she wasn't cheating, she wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

2) the wife-- she should not have risked her life. She should have just taken her chances with her husband being angry.

3) the lover-- he should have given her the money to get home safely. He knew she was in danger.

4) the boatman-- he should have helped her seeing how she was desperate. If she told him about the assassin, he ties with the lover. 

5) the husband-- you could argue he put his job before his wife, but he didn't know what was going on. 

Jabojoe
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM
1.) the wife because it should be her responsibility to keep herself safe

2.) the lover because if it hadn't been for him, the wife wouldn't have been there.

3.) the boatman because he had a moral obligation to help out a fellow human

4.) the husband because had he taken his wife as she asked, she wouldn't have been in the predicament.

5.) the assassin because, well he's an assassin and as such it's his nature to kill people
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think cheating warrants being killed. If someone is killing people, I see them as primarily responsible for the person's death, regardless of what the victim was doing at the time.

I don't think it's her fault at all for cheating; it's her fault for making a dumb move and running across a bridge when an assassin is on it.

Quoting Anonymous: I disagree. The wife is first. She shouldn't have been cheating. If she wasn't cheating, she wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place.
Quoting Browncoat4eva:

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Book.Strumpet
by Fountain.Pirate on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Guilt in order  Wife = Freedom   Lover = Hot Sex -Taboo  Boatman = Magic / Hope   Husband = Love, but with strings  Assassin = Greed

I never could figure out why the slut, er, I mean wife didn't just blow the boatman in exchange for passage across the river, it's not like she had any morals. What a dumb ass.

Ah huh, that opinion/question didn't go over well in secondary school either. Our head master really didn't like me. LMAO

mlpcrusader
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM
I can't highlight the space can you pm me please?
Jabojoe
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM
So I looked it up and apparently my answers mean that I place importance on, in this order, fun, sex, magic, love, money. Mostly accurate.
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Don't mind if I do... thanks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mobile Photo

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:24 AM
I didn't say that, but she put herself in that situation.

On another note, perhaps the husband knew about her infidelity and hired the assassin? Therefore, wouldn't that make him responsible?

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

I don't think cheating warrants being killed. If someone is killing people, I see them as primarily responsible for the person's death, regardless of what the victim was doing at the time.

I don't think it's her fault at all for cheating; it's her fault for making a dumb move and running across a bridge when an assassin is on it.

Quoting Anonymous: I disagree. The wife is first. She shouldn't have been cheating. If she wasn't cheating, she wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN