Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tenant issues, are we being unreasonable *Edited*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 435 Replies
We own a two family home, duplex, whatever you want to call it. Anyways, we live in the lower unit, our tenant is in the upper. We have a small dog and a cat, but it is specified in our tenants lease, there are to be no animals except for fish, birds or small caged animals. She is constantly saying we are unreasonable and asking why we can have animals and she cant. The last tenant we had, had a dog and a cat. We had to repair so much damage when she left because she didnt take care of her animals properly. We decided to not let future tenants have them. Yes, we have animals. We take good care of them, and we own the house. Oh she also bitches when we say no smoking in the unit, if she smokes outside, I dont want to see butts all over outside. And if we are having a get together in the backyard, she may come down and join if she wants, she has access to the garage, on site 24/7 maintenance (my husband) and we work with her when it comes to rent. She's upset over having an animal though...

Edit: we are not bending on the cat/dog rule. At all.

Unit has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, dr, lr, kitchen. Rent is $650. It is fully applianced: stove, fridge, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Tenant pays rent, electric and gas. She has access to free wifi and we pay cable, she gets channels 2-99. Since the only laundry hookups are in our unit, she comes down every Wednesday to do a load of wash. We include her at our get togethers is she wishes to join. We have worked with her and helped her out on many occasions. I dont think the no pet rule is all that bad. Same with the no smoking.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM
13 moms liked this
Not unreasonable at all.
Lo428
by get over yourself on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. 

Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Not unreasonable lol it's your castle. You make the rules.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Ok good lol she just brought up the dog thing again this morning. Why do you get one and I cant? It's getting annoying.

Quoting FutureSoccerM0m: Not unreasonable at all.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
18 moms liked this
I'd never live over my landlord. Ever.

I don't think your requests about the smoking is unreasonable. The pet thing irks me because you are saying no to her based on what someone else did. If you didn't live there with your pets it would be different.
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM
22 moms liked this

the answer to her question is simple - because we said so. You don't have to jsutify your lawful rules in your rental unit. if she doesn't like it, she is welcome to move out when her lease is up.

she sounds like a whiner.

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM
5 moms liked this
Tell her because you own the home and she's more than welcome to find a place that accepts any kind of animals.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok good lol she just brought up the dog thing again this morning. Why do you get one and I cant? It's getting annoying.

Quoting FutureSoccerM0m: Not unreasonable at all.
shansa3fan
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Your rules. You have a reason and she knew it when she moved in. After her lease agreement has ended, she can move to a unit that allows animals.

On the other hand, if you're willing to do it, you could have a pet deposit of say $300 on top of her other security deposit.You can stipulate that when she moves, you will retain at least 50% for professional carpet cleaning. Does she take care of the unit so far?

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I would allow her to smoke outside (not inside) if she kept the butts cleared. I rented a place once where I signed that I would get fined $25 for every butt the landlord picked up from the property (but I wasn't a smoker)
Everything sounds reasonable. If she didn't like it she shouldn't have signed the lease.

my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

You are not being unreasonable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)