Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stupid registry items.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 243 Replies
1 mom liked this
My SIL and BIL are having a baby in December. They are throwing the baby shower in September for some reason, but whatever. They have some of the stupidest and most useless shit on their baby registries. They have this keurig thing on there for formula, plus a $400 breast pump, some stuff for cloth diapering and then the invite has an insert asking for regular diapers, a wipes warmer, hats, hats, and more hats(about 15 hats), clothes going up to 4t, but don't have stuff for the baby for the first 6 months on it. They don't even have a car seat or crib on it, but they do have an umbrella stroller. My MIL and I both asked them why they have all this stuff on there and not stuff they actually need. Their response was well if we don't need it, we can always return it for credit. I asked if people were giving them used stuff for the baby and she flipped out that her child will not be using anything used.
The shower seems more of a gift grab that anything else. I am buying stuff they actually will need for a baby and not stuff from the three registries they have set up. Sorry for the long vent.
EDIT; Since someone bumped the post I guess I'll add a few things. They have added some more stuff to their registry. One being a towel warmer.
And no they don't plan on buying anything for the baby. That's what's the baby shower is for. That is as per them.
We did decide what we are getting them. We bought their baby bathtub and are filling it with other bath stuff and stuff for when the baby has a cold.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LMomma2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM
4 moms liked this
Maybe they have already bought clothes for the first 6 months?
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
People don't have to buy what's on the registry. They don't even have to buy gifts at all if they don't want to.
MommyStar3343
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM
3 moms liked this

I would at that point just give a gift card. It's more practical at that point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
MYOB.
catngabsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
8 moms liked this
I didn't register for the larger gear items, we bought those ourselves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
No, try haven't bought anything because that's what the baby shower is for. That's as per them, not me.

Quoting LMomma2012: Maybe they have already bought clothes for the first 6 months?
DawnPratt23
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Get them a gift card and be done with it. I got more diapers than I needed and had to toss them. It was a complete waste.

We lived in a small town at the time, no shelter or place to donate. Kept them for 6 months before tosding them out. They were opened boxes and the walmart there 7 years ago wouldnt exchange without receipt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this

To start off with, it's tacky to throw their own shower.  SMH at people.  They are in for a shock when the baby gets here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM
3 moms liked this
I am probably going to buy a bathtub, bath towels, spoons, onieses, and stuff they will actually need.

Quoting MommyStar3343:

I would at that point just give a gift card. It's more practical at that point.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM
10 moms liked this

Maybe they don't have a car seat or crib on their registry because they know that is already taken care of. lol As far as the other stuff, I've always known people to put things on their registries (whether it baby or wedding) for things they both want and need. Who cares? If you don't want to buy it then move down the list to something you want to buy. You don't know what they will need because it not your child. I know way back when I had my first, if I didn't put something on the registry it was because that was already taken care of and I didn't "need" someone to buy more of it for me. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)