Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Risperdal

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM
  • 142 Replies
I just came from my friends sons welcome home party. He has been in a psychiatric facility for seven days. They wanted to keep him long term but her insurance won't cover that until january (i don't know why that is).

Anyway his diagnosis is a mood disorder (really bipolar but he's too young for an official diagnosis), ODD, depression, anxiety and PTSD.

He's now on Risperdal and Celexa (I think). I googled Risperdal and it sounds kind of scary.

I figured there would be people here with experience.

.He's 10 btw
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM
froggyfreak330
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Im confused as to what help or advice you are actually looking for. Can you please give more detail as to what questions you have regarding the issue?

jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this
My dad was on that for severe bipolar disorder and it fucked him up bad! All those psychiatric mess do is make them a zombie. I don't believe any of them actually correct a deficiency.
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Drug em early, it's the American way, lol. No way in hell my kid would be on that shit

theboyfactory
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM
It can have awful and even permanent side effects. I've seen it happen over and over. It should be avoided if at all possible. I am also realistic and have seen people that have significantly increased quality of life that they do not get from any other medication. I had to put one of my children on it at one time and honestly, I cried. It's a heavy hitter. I've seen the damages. It is a scary thing when you see what can happen and how stopping the medication does not necessarily take away the bad side effects.
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I'm not really looking for advice as he isn't my kid. But her friend made a comment about the drug being a nightmare so I googled it. I was just curious as to real experiences with it,especially in children.

Quoting froggyfreak330:

Im confused as to what help or advice you are actually looking for. Can you please give more detail as to what questions you have regarding the issue?

bria2014
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Took risperdal and ended up in a psychiatric facility for a week and a half. Never again will I take it.
nverheyn2011
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Risperidal will fuck with his short term memory. Speaking from experience.
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM
That's what i had heard about it. I just wondered why.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

Drug em early, it's the American way, lol. No way in hell my kid would be on that shit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN