Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone here ever cook salmon? (advice please)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 29 Replies
Has anyone here ever cooked salmon? both me and DH love it but i've never cooked it and my mom never made fish growing up because it was "icky"(don't ask we weren't even allowed fish sticks, and there was never a reason given)

I planned on cooking it on the George foreman grill, is it best to leave the skin on through cooking and take it off later? I just googled i think it said it was more moist if left on is that true? And is lemon pepper a good seasoning for salmon?

I'm not looking to get real fancy with the 1st time cooking it just looking for a easy success to get a feel of how it cooks.
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimicora
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Bump
Gmgej
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I do it in a pan with olive oil, lemon and seasoning like sea salt wih roasted garlic. I like it done well and a bit crispy brown. I leave the skin on. I cook salmon 2x a week at least.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Salmon is easy. Leave the skin on cook skin side first. Flip. Peel skin off. Lemon pepper is good. So is pesto sauce.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM
No dh is allergic
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I cook mine in a pan in a bit of butter. With a season mix I got from allrecipes.com. Yes, I leave my skin on and then take it off before we eat.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

We cook salmon all the time. We usually do it on the bbq grill on a cedar plank and we coat the meat in olive oil, minced garlic and italian seasoning and definitely leave the skin on.

Doing it on the Foreman grill I would still use olive oil, garlic and italian seasoning with the skin on. 

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't use the George Foreman grill unless you leave it open.  Otherwise, brush with olive oil, garlic, dill and lemon juice, then bake for 22 minutes at 350 degrees.  

MamaTwinkleA
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM
I cook salmon with soy sauce and ginger. I prefer to get skinless but it can be done either way. Boil fresh chopped ginger, soy sauce, water, and some sugar. Cool and marinate salmon in sauce. Broil on each side for a could minutes depending on thickness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooreBoysMama
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Skin stays on.

Lemon pepper is fine.

Maple syrup or soy sauce or both mixed can be used as a glaze.

Poach it in white wine with dill & lemon slices.
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Salmon is not hard to cook.

Boil it in water(takes I think 10 min), grill it under the broiler or on the barbecue, break it up and simmer it in a stew with tomatoes, potatoes and curry, bake it on a cookie sheet, whatever you want.

I make a Russian thing that has a crust made out of flakey pastry and has a filling made of rice, salmon, sour cream and sauerkraut(sounds odd but people scream for more).   Often I bake it, I put some very thinly sliced lemons on top of it, some honey, soy sauce and some pepper, and bake it, for I dunno, maybe 20 min.  I often broil it.  If I boil it, I often will chill it in the fridge and then serve it with a cold dill mustard sauce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN