Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids and guns-learning to shoot?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM
  • 150 Replies
At what age do you think it is appropriate for a child to learn to shoot a gun, if at all? My hubby is very much pro-gun whereas I'm not so much and taking the kids to a gun range when they get older was a recent topic of discussion. What's your opinion on this? What age for the kids?
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anaijasmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM
When I went to the shooting range I was amazed at allthe young kids in there. Age 7 is when they start teaching.
sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Ds will be six shortly and knows a ton more about guns and fun safety than I probably do. He's been out shooting and hunting with his dad since three. He likes to "teach" his cousins about the "proper way to handle a gun" on nerd guns. We are from a small town in Indiana so it really is just a normal thing here.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Our girls started at 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeachQuean
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest was 6 or 7 and my others are too young right now...well middle dd is 6 now, but no interest and other dd is only 2. My oldest is now 12 and she is excited to get her hunting license this fall. 

We are also teaching bow hunting with the kids as well. 

We are not American tho......

hehehe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm, sounds like my house. My dh is fully aware of WHY i have issues with guns and he respectys that. However, that doesn't mean i have say in whether or not the kids shoot. Our kids are 8 and 4. A couple weekends ago, they shot a pellet gun in our yard...they loved it and did great. As a matter of fact, our 8 year old dd, on her first shot, Robinhooded my dh's shot in the can.
waitingonmila
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I learned about gun safety as little as I can remember and I shot my first gun at 6.. I want a similar experience for my daughter.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

It's true kids should be taught gun safety but it's outrageous for anyone to give real guns to young children.  Shameful.  If you must teach them to kill animals at least wait until they are older so they can perhaps have a sense of what taking a life really means.

Sweetpea323
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband is a redneck. So I'm pretty sure he walked out of the womb with a rifle on his shoulder. Ours will also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't believe in letting kids use guns.

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My three and a half year old is learning to shoot her. .22 this year. She has been learning gun safety for about a year now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN