Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who's right, me or my grandmother?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies
1 mom liked this
My cousin married a loser and he joined the army soon after meaning they traveled all over the world living on army bases. Because of that it was hard for her to keep a job so she stayed home with the kids.

Flash forward 20 years and the man of her dreams becomes a recruiter and tells an 18 year old kid that if he enlists he and his wife would raise his younger brother who was 3 at the time. My cousin and her loser husband go to court and are awarded some sort of custody of the kid. They can't adopt him because his parents still have rights but I also don't believe it's a foster care situation. Bottom line is they get no help from the state or the bio parents of this kid.

2 years later loser gets transferred to another state and meets a woman and leaves my cousin for her.

Cue the nasty divorce. Their oldest is 18 so no child support is awarded for her and since the youngest isn't theirs he doesn't pay child support for him so he's only paying child support for one kid and because my cousin hasn't had a job in 20 years all she can find are low paying jobs.

In this time frame her daughter moves an hour away to go to school and to start her own life. My grandmother is livid that she isn't helping her mother financially. She expects her to quit school get a job and move in with her mom and brothers and help mom with the bills.

She and I got into an argument over it because while I think it would be nice for her to help her mom I don't think it's fair to expect an 18 year old kid to put her life on hold either. My grandmother is threatening to write her out of the will if she doesn't quit school and I feel that's incredibly unfair to demand she help financially support her mom and brothers.

Let me clarify some things. First my grandmother is financially helping my cousin. I don't know to what extent though. She also goes to my cousins house after school and babysits the kids until my cousin comes in from work.

My cousin does work. She works at a daycare making minimum wage and they do not give her 40 hours a week. She also works on the weekend at a retail establishment. I believe she works every Saturday.

She almost def qualifies for food stamps but refuses to get help.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Anyone?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I would find it hard to leave my mom like thst. I would do community college while I helped out. Then transferred to complete degree
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM
4 moms liked this
No, she needs to chase her dreams and do better for herself. This isn't her messed up situation. And I'm not even going to pretend to understand what's going on with caring for some random kid.
JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Uh no, its not the kids responsibility.  Dad either needs to buck up and help at the very least financially with this kid he signed them up for, or its time for the little guy to go back to his parents. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
She's going to an art institute I don't know if community college works for that sort of degree or school

Quoting Anonymous: I would find it hard to leave my mom like thst. I would do community college while I helped out. Then transferred to complete degree
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I think you are right. She shouldn't have to put her life aside just because her mom made bad choices.
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Your grandmother is crazy.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to go with this.

Quoting Anonymous: I would find it hard to leave my mom like thst. I would do community college while I helped out. Then transferred to complete degree

razorbackfan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
So grandma doesn't think she deserves a good education so she can better herself. She can't help her daddy was a dick and left her mom. She shouldn't have to suffer because of it. Grandma needs to suck it up. I'm sure your cousin's daughter will help out when and if she can but she don't need to drop out of school.
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM

grandma is crazy. it's her money, but i dont see why granny won't help out the daughter esp if she's threatening this HUGE inheritance she has

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN