Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Optometrist on here? I have a question...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I am planning on going in for a contact lens exam. The last time i went in 2 years ago the doctor said it looked like I was developing an eye infection and this time i think it will be the same thing. My eyes are red and they hurt(burning feeling). I will say I probably wore my contacts too long and i have worn them over night which they are monthly ones that can be worn over night. This might sound dumb but should i be honest and tell them this? or just let them see that i have an eye infection and be able to still get contacts? I am afraid the doctor might deny me contacts if i tell them and i absolutely hate glasses. What are some reasons for a doctor to deny contacts to those who have had them before?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:10 AM
As an optometrist I would highly recommend being dishonest to get your way. There's no way I could tell or any other highly trained professional would ever be able to tell if had an infection or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emandab
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:18 AM

I've always been honest with them and they chastise me and move on.  No big deal.  Maybe he'll suggest two week disposables and not over night ones.  It sounds like your eyes need the rest.  Trust me.  I have been there and done that lol!  I've worn contacts that were not only NOT my prescription but also expired by 7 years, because I really just didn't want to spend the money on new ones till I absolutely had to. (My mom had a bunch of old contacts of hers that she didn't use and were far below what my prescription was).  Just tell them you wore your last pair a little too long because you kept putting off making the appt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM

how could you not tell if someone had an infection? My doctor was able to tell that i had an eye infection last time i went in

Quoting Anonymous: As an optometrist I would highly recommend being dishonest to get your way. There's no way I could tell or any other highly trained professional would ever be able to tell if had an infection or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Sarcasm.

Quoting Anonymous:

how could you not tell if someone had an infection? My doctor was able to tell that i had an eye infection last time i went in

Quoting Anonymous: As an optometrist I would highly recommend being dishonest to get your way. There's no way I could tell or any other highly trained professional would ever be able to tell if had an infection or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Why put yourself through that? Take them out every night!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I was told i can wear them over night...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I was told i can wear them over night...

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, but if you're getting infections, then obviously it's not a great idea....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Get the meds to clear the eye infection! He will just make you come back to recheck them in a few days and give you contacts then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)