Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im a hoarder...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I hoard kids clothes. Between my SO and I we have several sisters and nieces that are our kids ages or have kids our kids ages so we get a lot of hand me downs. They have enough that they'd have an outfit every day for at least 2 months and still never repeat the same outfit. My DD could go at least 3-4 months on shirts.

even though everything still fits it's back to school shopping time and my DD wants a new style (she was mostly jeans and shorts last year. Now she's obsessed with dresses and leggins). This will be DSs first year in school and while I dont think I'll get him much in the area of pants (everything fits, is new looking, and he likes them) I know I have to get rid of stuff, still, before bringing more clothes in. Even if we weren't buying more clothes I need to get this under control.

my question is how many outfits is "enough"? When does it become obsessive and too much? My kids are 4 and 7 if it makes a difference.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Browncoat4eva
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:56 AM

I figure as long as they can go from one laundry day to the next without digging in the hamper, everything else is just gravy. 

And as long as it fits neatly in the drawers/closets in their room, I'm okay with the amount.

If they run out of clothes before laundry day, it's time to go shopping. If it doesn't fit in their allotted drawers/closet space, something's gotta go.

907PickleMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM
2 outfits per day for preschool age. 4 outfits for babies, 1 outfit for each school day or mix & match clothes, 1 -3 dress up or "church" outfits per kid. 1-2 outfits per off or play day. 2-4 pairs of shoes. 4-6 sets of pj's.. That's all kids really need! :)
KykysMomma1128
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:15 AM
Dd got 13 new outfits, 1 pack of socks, 1 pack of underwear, 3 new pair of shoes, a new back pack and lunch box, a new pencil case, new hair bows and hair bands, and new Tupperware for her lunch box. I know that's more then just clothes but that sums up everything she got for this school year. And of course her school supplies with extra tissues and hand sanitizer for her teacher. She also has a lot of clothes that still fit from last year but I went a head and got one size bigger when we went shopping. Last year I did not and she had a growth spurt and out grew all her clothes 1 month later. So I am preparing for that. Lol. I have a clothes addiction too so I'm not much help. Dd has two baskets full of clothes in her room I have to look through because there is no more room in her closet or dresser.
justone_jen
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM
We are minimalists by nature. Two months of clothing is unnecessary, in my opinion. We have a stack of her "play" clothes, which have all been stained somehow, cute dresses, and un-stained shorts/pants and shirts. I'd say we could go two weeks without doing laundry.

She'd rather be naked anyway, so that happens a lot too.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM

My kids had tons of clothes. They always looked nice. We had school clothes, dress clothes and play clothes.  Out of season clothes were stored in an extra closet and bins. Their closest and dressers were always full. No lie they probably had 25 pr shorts, 20 pr of pants, and 60 shirts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Believe it or not I'm a minimalist too. I just have a hard time letting go of clothes for some reason. Lol

Quoting justone_jen: We are minimalists by nature. Two months of clothing is unnecessary, in my opinion. We have a stack of her "play" clothes, which have all been stained somehow, cute dresses, and un-stained shorts/pants and shirts. I'd say we could go two weeks without doing laundry.

She'd rather be naked anyway, so that happens a lot too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM
We hoard clothes too. My hubbys grandma owns her own clothing store
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)