Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young driver with permit driving with other kids in car?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
How do you feel about it? When I was with my ex he thought we should let my ss, who was 14, drive when we were all together too. With other kids being 9, 8, 4, and 1. I said no. Fast forward a few yrs to the other day when my mom and I were taking separate cars to my brothers house. I had the boys and she had my 3 yr old with my 15 yr old niece. She wanted to let her drive. It's about 10 miles back county roads to their house but I said.. No better let grandma drive. It was in front of my niece and I didn't want her to feel bad but I didn't feel comfortable with it. My mom says Oh Ashton (my niece) she doesn't trust you. I said no... I don't trust other drivers. She's had plenty of hrs driving and drives with her brother in the car.. I don't doubt her ability.. It's just that I don't feel comfortable with the lack of experience reacting to situations. I know my older brothers all drove the family around when I was younger, and I drove full time from the time I was 13, but that was a long time ago. And God forbid if something would happen, I wouldn't want her to feel responsible. Am I being unreasonable? How do you feel about kids with permits driving with other family members in the car?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM
If there is an adult in the car and the child is a good driver, im fine with it.
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM

She has to learn somehow.  If your trust problem is not with her, let her.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they should be driving ONLY when its just the learning driver and the parent (or another licensed driver) with NO extra distractions

goldpandora
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

THIS!

Quoting 672:

I think they should be driving ONLY when its just the learning driver and the parent (or another licensed driver) with NO extra distractions

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:33 AM

My kids are 13 months apart. I never had to deal with this issue.I think my own children I would be OK. I certainly wouldnt allow it say first week they had their permit. I would explain to my new driver, lets try it. If I ask you to pull over its because I feel the younger ones are distracting you. I think we would try a short drive. To see how the driver and siblings reacted. If the siblings were  to disruptive then I would ask the driver to pull over and let me drive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM
I think my main issue was not being in the car with them. And I've never drove with her. She's very responsible and is doing a good job from what I hear, but I was just uneasy about it. And with my step son I didn't trust him enough to drive all the kids and a new baby. He just wasn't mature enough and hadn't had enough experience imo. When my younger son is old enough to drive I'm sure I'll let him with my daughter, but I will have been the one that has been with him the whole... Teaching him to drive.. Time. So I'll know what situations he's ready for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM
He has a permit at 14?? Wow, you have to be 15 here. If it was side roads n stuff I'd be fine. I'd not like main highway driving with others in the car.
luvnmyboi
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM
I did it. I don't have a problem with it with a responsible adult in the car, especially on country roads.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Ya you can get your permit at 14. You can also get a farm permit where you can drive yourself to work if you have a farm. Though most kids around here get one whether they farm or not... And drive to school

Quoting Anonymous: He has a permit at 14?? Wow, you have to be 15 here. If it was side roads n stuff I'd be fine. I'd not like main highway driving with others in the car.
littlelamb303
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My dd has a permit now and I would not want anyone else(besides me or dh) in the car with her.  Young drivers are just that, inexperienced and simply do not know how to deal with issues that come up all the time when driving   We also live in a heavily populated suburb with lots of idiots on the road , so I have those worries as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)