Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

When does watching your child cross over to being a "helicopter" parent?

My step dad called me a helicopter parent Sunday because I wouldn't let my 2 year old go 20ft away from me to play on the playground. He is 2, there are much older kids there as well. I stand on the side lines and when he goes out of sight I walk till I can see him again. My father calls this being a helicopter parent because I didn't sit my ass on the picnic table and let him play on his own.

Is this really being helicopter parent or is my step dad being an ass as usual?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Not a helicopter parent.  It would be if you hovered over him at home while he was in a safe play area.  Or if he were 4 or 5 and you were still on top of him at the playground.

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM
He's only 2. I closely supervised my 2 yo at playgrounds. Now that DS is 4 he's been free to go off and play for a while.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM

IMHO he's being an ass 

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM

At 2 you always want him in your site.

Pinkmommy0211
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Your dad is dumb.

At 2 my daughter was always in my site. And at 2 they are just starting to climb and explore. So yup I'd be watching him too
mlg1989
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM
No idea.
I know I helicopter parent sometimes, it's hard not too. I just like to keep an eye on my kid, I do let him go more than 20 feet from me though.
I just check on him and his location like every 5 minutes. I just don't want anything to happen to my baby D:
I've been getting better though since he starts K this year.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
He's 2, he should be in sight, especially out in public like the park.
VicVinegar
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what you are or what he THINKS you are, as long as you feel you are being the best parent you can be to your own children, well that's all that really matters.

But to make you feel better, HE is crazy, of course you should keep a very close eye on a TWO year old!

JIJsMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM
No, you're being a good parent in that sense. He's confused on what that term actually means.
littlelamb303
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM

no you are doing what every good parent should do.  At 2 , they can get in a whole lot of trouble very fast. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)