Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plan B

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Can someone explain it to me?  I read different things and each one tells me something different.  It's not personal because I can't have anymore kids or anything, but I'm just curious.

Does the Plan B pill expell a fertilized egg?  Does it expell the egg before fertilization?

My dh and I were watching "What Would You Do?" about a girl asking strangers to buy her some Plan B.  So we were talking about if we would do it.  It all depends on how it works, I guess.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM

It works just like oral bc and does not cause an abortion.    It is basically doubling up on the pill.  I took it back in 1987 after a rape.  It was not called plan b then , it was called the morning after pill and only prescribed in hospitals for rape victims.  It worked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Plan b works in the same three ways as other hormonal birth control

One of those ways is to thin the lining of the uterus so a fertilized egg can not attach
theTosh.O
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM

How is it different?  Is the egg fertilized or not?

Quoting Anonymous:

It works just like oral bc and does not cause an abortion.    It is basically doubling up on the pill.  I took it back in 1987 after a rape.  It was not called plan b then , it was called the morning after pill and only prescribed in hospitals for rape victims.  It worked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
How does Plan B One-Step® work?
Plan B One-Step® works in a similar way to birth control pills, primarily by:
Preventing ovulation
It may also work by:
Possibly preventing fertilization by altering tubal transport of sperm and/or egg
Altering the endometrium, which may inhibit implantation
Plan B One-Step® is not effective once the process of implantation has begun. It will not harm an existing pregnancy
http://www.planbonestep.com/hcp/faqs.aspx

Quoting Anonymous: Plan b works in the same three ways as other hormonal birth control

One of those ways is to thin the lining of the uterus so a fertilized egg can not attach
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM
It could be

Quoting theTosh.O:

How is it different?  Is the egg fertilized or not?

Quoting Anonymous:

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM
It depends on where you are on your cycle. It can prevent ovulation, fertilization or implantation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM
It basically fucks with your menstrual cycle so that you either don't ovulate or ovulate later than you normally would and blocks fertilization. It also messes up (for lack of better words) the lining of your uterus so that a fertilized egg can't implant itself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM
I am amazed at how many women do not know how birth control works....especially if they use it

Yes it can stop fertilization that is why many people are against it but the funny thing is that it doesn't work any differently than other hormonal birth control
bangersnmash
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

There are 2 different medications.  One is Plan B, one is RU-486.  Both are casually referred to as the morning after pill, but they are not remotely the same thing.  Plan B is a double dose of regular birth control.  If you're already pregnant when you take it, it doesn't work.  If you weigh more than 175 lbs, it doesn't work.  It's essentially the hail mary pass of bc.

RU-486 is only given after you are confirmed pregnant for the express purpose of terminating a pregnancy.  Anti-bc activists tend to lie and use the characteristics of RU-486 to describe Plan B, because of the morning after pill confusion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM
No....the abortion pill is NOT referred to as the morning after pill

Don't be making stuff up

Quoting bangersnmash:

There are 2 different medications.  One is Plan B, one is RU-486.  Both are casually referred to as the morning after pill, but they are not remotely the same thing.  Plan B is a double dose of regular birth control.  If you're already pregnant when you take it, it doesn't work.  If you weigh more than 175 lbs, it doesn't work.  It's essentially the hail mary pass of bc.

RU-486 is only given after you are confirmed pregnant for the express purpose of terminating a pregnancy.  Anti-bc activists tend to lie and use the characteristics of RU-486 to describe Plan B, because of the morning after pill confusion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)