Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Large family mama's, GET IN HERE!!! *6 or more*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I want to know all of your secrets!

How do you stay organized?

How do you manage time?

What is your reward system/disciplining like?

Do you work or are you a sahm?

How do you feed all of your children affordably?

Do you farm anything at all?

Do you have any blogs or books you like?

What's your school year schedule like?

Home/public/private school?

We have 6 kids, and more on the way soon (planning #7 right now)but before we add one more I would like to see what we can do to get better organized.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

bump

tinybluemoon
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I have 6 but I don't think I am going to be much help. I've found in the past I have a different position than most larger families.

How do you stay organized? I keep on top of things. I was raised to be organized, it's just part of my personal make-up. I'm the type where everything has its place and everything is in its place. I would be like that even if I had no children at all.

How do you manage time? I hire help. I have somebody to help with childcare/running everybody around and I have somebody to help with the house and garden. 

What is your reward system/disciplining like? The same as everybody else, I suppose, just on a larger scale.

Do you work or are you a sahm? I'm currently a SAHM by nessesity (sick child), however I also own/part own two companies, as well as work as a dress maker from home.

How do you feed all of your children affordably? We have no money issues, so don't really have to look at the affordability side of things. I just buy what we will need and eat.

Do you farm anything at all? No. We have chickens, horses, and we grow some vegetables and fruits, but once again, that would be something I probably would have done regardless of children.

Do you have any blogs or books you like? None, I don't really follow mommy blogs.

What's your school year schedule like? Hectic, just because I have so many kids in so many sports, so many times a week. It's school, EC's, dinner than bed around 5 days a week. 

Home/public/private school? Private.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Why would you say you have a different position?

We don't have money issues but I love to save when I can.  My dh can afford more than what we have, I just don't see the need in spending full price when I can save.

Thanks for your input, we used to have chickens but they got attacked so we're in the process of starting over with them.  I am going to start gardening, I did years ago but lost the feel for it and really miss it.  Plus, I think it will help with our food budget.

How old are your kids and what's your evening schedule like?

Quoting tinybluemoon:

I have 6 but I don't think I am going to be much help. I've found in the past I have a different position than most larger families.

How do you stay organized? I keep on top of things. I was raised to be organized, it's just part of my personal make-up. I'm the type where everything has its place and everything is in its place. I would be like that even if I had no children at all.

How do you manage time? I hire help. I have somebody to help with childcare/running everybody around and I have somebody to help with the house and garden. 

What is your reward system/disciplining like? The same as everybody else, I suppose, just on a larger scale.

Do you work or are you a sahm? I'm currently a SAHM by nessesity (sick child), however I also own/part own two companies, as well as work as a dress maker from home.

How do you feed all of your children affordably? We have no money issues, so don't really have to look at the affordability side of things. I just buy what we will need and eat.

Do you farm anything at all? No. We have chickens, horses, and we grow some vegetables and fruits, but once again, that would be something I probably would have done regardless of children.

Do you have any blogs or books you like? None, I don't really follow mommy blogs.

What's your school year schedule like? Hectic, just because I have so many kids in so many sports, so many times a week. It's school, EC's, dinner than bed around 5 days a week. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Bump
tinybluemoon
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Not only financially, but because of how close my middle 4 children are in age - I have 12,8,8,8,7 and 2 year olds. There is a grand total of  a little under 15 months between them. So we have big age gap, minuscule age gaps, and big age gap, so we don't have the same big family feel I find most have.

If we have no EC's -

3.15 - School finishes

4.00 - Get home, get changed, snack, Free time.

5.30 - Homework

6.00 - Dinner

6.30 - Free time/ 2 year old gets ready for bed

7.00 - 7/younger 8 year old get ready for bed

7.30 - 2 year old goes to bed/7 and 8 year old reading time/ other two year olds get ready for bed.

8.00 - 7 and 8 year old go to sleep/ other 8 year olds read.

8.30 - other 8 year olds go to sleep/12 year old gets ready for bed.

9.00 - 12 year old reads.

9.30 - 12 year old goes to sleep.

All goes pretty smoothly really, it works well for our family.

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't have money issues but I love to save when I can.  My dh can afford more than what we have, I just don't see the need in spending full price when I can save.

Thanks for your input, we used to have chickens but they got attacked so we're in the process of starting over with them.  I am going to start gardening, I did years ago but lost the feel for it and really miss it.  Plus, I think it will help with our food budget.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Mine are 8, 8, 6, 6, 3 and 1 so I've got a decent age gap as well.
Your night schedule looks a lot like mine for bedtime.

My in laws come over after school to help with homework since dh works so much and I have 4 so close in age at school. It's very helpful, then they have assistance from family instead of someone from outside the family.

Thank you!

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Not only financially, but because of how close my middle 4 children are in age - I have 12,8,8,8,7 and 2 year olds. There is a grand total of  a little under 15 months between them. So we have big age gap, minuscule age gaps, and big age gap, so we don't have the same big family feel I find most have.

If we have no EC's -

3.15 - School finishes

4.00 - Get home, get changed, snack, Free time.

5.30 - Homework

6.00 - Dinner

6.30 - Free time/ 2 year old gets ready for bed

7.00 - 7/younger 8 year old get ready for bed

7.30 - 2 year old goes to bed/7 and 8 year old reading time/ other two year olds get ready for bed.

8.00 - 7 and 8 year old go to sleep/ other 8 year olds read.

8.30 - other 8 year olds go to sleep/12 year old gets ready for bed.

9.00 - 12 year old reads.

9.30 - 12 year old goes to sleep.

All goes pretty smoothly really, it works well for our family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tinybluemoon:

jwhit8791
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I only have 4 at the moment so I don't know if you would like an opinion but I have read "Large Family Logistics" by Kim Brenneman and found that helpful for setting up a routine.  I don't think that she has a blog, but I think that there is a FB group and there is a yahoo group.  HTH

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Thank you

Quoting jwhit8791:

I only have 4 at the moment so I don't know if you would like an opinion but I have read "Large Family Logistics" by Kim Brenneman and found that helpful for setting up a routine.  I don't think that she has a blog, but I think that there is a FB group and there is a yahoo group.  HTH

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)