Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Food??? Not Really

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok I get on this kick every time I go visit any board that is talking about weight loss.....why do people consider foods that are low fat/ low calorie automatically healthy though they are overly processed, loaded with sodium, MSG, and HFCS. Seriously is America's problem with Obesity the fact that we dont know what Healthy is anymore!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM
People do not understand food health. My sister is a dietician and she gets so frustrated with the horrible information people share with others.
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Ignorance
Osstie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM
People buy into marketing!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Well I don't think that, so I don't know.

But it probably has to do with the huge diet product market that we have in this country. I can't turn on the tv without seeing at least one commercial for some dieting item.

**Edit to add**

There is also a difference between someone looking for healthy options and people looking to lose weight. I do eat some lower cal options that are probably worse for my overall health. But really, I need to lose weight. A LOT of weight. And I am ok with taking it one step at a time. I used to eat seconds at dinner every night, wasn't aware of how much I ate at any point, had no control around sweets, and drank at least 3 cans of soda a day. Since trying to lose weight I have cut soda out, eat sweets in much smaller amounts, weigh all of my food, rarely have seconds, and drink at least 12 glasses of water a day. Moving in the right direction, but I know its not perfect yet.

MommyJill87
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I agree. Whole foods and common sense are where it's at.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Apparently. What really bugs me is that diet pops and zero calorie drinks contain ecoli extract. I don't understand how people know its there but drink it still. And I'm not talking one every once in a while, I'm talking 6 or 7 a day!
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Lack of food education, no one taught them what healthy eating really is

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM
This. They'd rather buy a ready made processed product instead of real healthy foods.

Quoting Osstie: People buy into marketing!
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

People do not understand that you need to change your lifestyle.  YOUR lifestyle made you fat, so you can't keep on with the same one.  Be that large portions, eating sweets, drinking your calories, not drinking water, eating too many snacks, not exercising, whatever it might be.

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM

It's miseducation. For a long time, we were told that anything low-fat/low-calorie IS the healthy alternative and it's something that has been passed along and something that will take some time for people to get out of their heads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)