Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you expect this of your teen?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM
  • 29 Replies
Let's say you've been down on your luck and finally have found a job. Its not a very good one but its making money.
You cannot afford daycare so you need some help with watching your toddler.
You have a 16 year old who has a job she just got and starts tomorrow. Would you make her quit to watch her sister so you could work?

This is happening to someone I know and the teen has gotten 2-3 jobs already she's had to quit her first week because her mother refuses to help get her to and from work and says she needs her there to watch her sister. She's not being paid to watch her sister and she's very upset she's being forced to take care of a baby that isn't hers even if it is her sister. She had plans of working to save up for a car, school clothes and a cellphone. All of which her mother cannot provide for her. She was trying to do the right thing and make her own money to provide for herself but mom needs her so she can work and pay the bills and rent.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM
That's messed up. :( I feel bad for the girl..

But at the same time, the adults have to do what's necessary for the whole family. Idk she should find someone else to watch her kid. That's just a messed up situation.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Tough call. I admire that teen. She is trying to do all the right things. Sadly mom may not be able to provide the necessities without her help.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No. I would not.

I would try the hardest I could to find other arrangements for my toddler. Maybe not an actual daycare, but someone coming into my home to watch them and maybe pay less than what a daycare would charge, a relative, etc.  If my teen wanted to work, i would let them. 

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM
She has other family that could watch the little one but she feels like she's going to make her child a burden on her sister and mother who have helped her in the past with her. She thinks her kid gets into everything and she's 2 much for people to handle so she doesn't take her out any where doesn't let her play with other kids because she's terrified she's going to be bad. So she leaves her at home all the time with just herself and her teenage sister to keep her company. And she's not a bad kid but I mean she is a toddler. Curious little girl who wants to poke everything and hug the babies and chase the dog. I just hate that the teen is the one to have the responsibility pushed on her when she hates it.

Quoting Cocomicah: That's messed up. :( I feel bad for the girl..

But at the same time, the adults have to do what's necessary for the whole family. Idk she should find someone else to watch her kid. That's just a messed up situation.
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
What's sad is this girl has applies to every place around her and been to job fairs for the past two years just dying to find a job and she's had to quit the few who would hire her because she had a baby to look after that's not even her responsibility. She loves her sister but still she can't leave her house spend the night with friends nothing because she's on call to babysit 24/7

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Tough call. I admire that teen. She is trying to do all the right things. Sadly mom may not be able to provide the necessities without her help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
She's being selfish. It's not her child's child to raise and she's choosing not to ask others for help for no legitimate reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
While I feel bad for the teen, she should not except a job knowing she doesnt have a way back and forth from work. (Obviously mom isn't reliable)

And as sad as it maybe sometimes when things are tough in a family everyone has to suck it up and do what they have to do to survive.
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM

That's tough. I feel bad for the girl, but at the same time, if I had been in that situation as  teen, I would have voluntarily watched my sister instead of working. I understand the want it save up for a car, etc. That's what I did, but if mom is struggling to provide the necessities, I would have helped out however I could.

firespurity
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Why won't she pay her teenager half of what she'd pay daycare? Compromise.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Oh then yea I don't think that's right. I'm not really a fan of the parents that push their young kids on their way older kids. I just hope it works out for them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)