Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Is A Book That You Have Read A Million Times...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
  • 232 Replies

...but you still love reading it again and again?

We are re-reading Harry Potter again. I have read the books a million times and then, when my daughter was 3, she got interested in them so I started reading them to her. I honestly didn't expect her to last very long because there were no pictures but we read all 7 books a chapter or two a night and she LOVED them. She needed some help following the plot line and needed to have some things explained to her (and the movies helped) but she still has amazing comprehension for her age (she's 6 now). When I got married, she talked them up to my stepdaughter and she begged for us to read them together so we read them to her. Now, we're all reading them again because I have a friend and her three kids staying with us and they have never read them. We usually read a chapter or two after dinner, before bed. My two girls have them on their Kindles so they all follow along but they all love to be read too. They're a little young to read these books by themselves. 

To clarify, my 6 year old has never liked for me to read her picture books. I have read to her since shortly after she was conceived and she has always wanted me to read my books to her. When she was a baby, I read to her while I was nursing her or rocking her (my secret way of sneaking in "me time" while caring for a newborn) and we have always read before bedtime. She has picture books that she reads to herself but, when we are having our special reading time, she likes to read "grown up" books. Of course, I keep them age appropriate. I would not be reading her Harliquin romances or anything like that. Mostly, we read things like Shiloh, Bridge to Terabithia, Charlotte's Web, ect. She is a very advanced reader and every teacher she has had is just amazed. She has tested well above grade level in reading, comprehension, and vocabulary. I'm a kindergarten teacher so I started her out at 2 or 3 doing sight words and flash cards. My stepdaugther was never much of a reader (because my husband isn't and her mother isn't very involved in things like that) but she got into it when I read to them every night. Now she, like my daughter, would rather read than watch TV. She is 8. I'm starting my 2 year old on sight words pretty soon. 

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM
7 moms liked this
The little house books are my favorite. I'm actually taking a class this fall about Laura ingalls wilder and her first four books.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

anne rice's series the mayfair witches..

Stephen Kings The Stand

and pretty much any dragon lance first series paper backs. 

Photo: -Randi.

AvantGardener
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson. I love that book.

KristaP13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I could read the Harry Potter books and The Percy Jackson books to my DD's over and over again. 

My favorite is Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries series (Sookie Stackhouse). I've read each of the 13 books at least twice. Some 3-4 times. The Game of thrones series by George RR Martin is also another I could read again and again. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Dune by Frank Herbert. If I could only read one series for the rest of my life, I'd be ok if it was Dune.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

The Vampire Lestat series by Anne Rice.

Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson.

Pern series by Anne McCaffery.

Black Dagger Brotherhood by R. R. Ward is a good smutty series to be stuck with for eternity.

Dominica series by Larissa Ione is another good smutty romance series.

Damn it... I really like to read, lol. Right now I'm working my way through Meljean Brook' s Guardian series.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I loved Southern Vampire series until the end. Then I was like WTF?

Quoting KristaP13:

I could read the Harry Potter books and The Percy Jackson books to my DD's over and over again. 

My favorite is Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries series (Sookie Stackhouse). I've read each of the 13 books at least twice. Some 3-4 times. The Game of thrones series by George RR Martin is also another I could read again and again. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The Giver

To Kill a Mockingbird

The first 10-12 books of Stephanie Plum series.

cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Ender's Game

The forgotten beasts of eld

Harry Potter

The Blue Girl
KristaP13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Same here :( I guess I kind of expected Sookie was going to end up with who she did. Still disappointing though. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: I loved Southern Vampire series until the end. Then I was like WTF?
Quoting KristaP13:

eeksaboy
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
She's come undone and
Where the red fern grows are 2 of my favorites
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)