Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I F***ing Hate Babywise!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
The book is a giant pile of garbage. The man who wrote it has no scientific backing for his messed up system of child rearing, and I have yet to hear one good reason for using it. The best people can come up with is that it makes life easier for them to put their child on a strict schedule so young.

Guess what? You are literally teaching your child that you do not care about their needs and will not respond to them appropriately! What human being lives on a strict schedule like that? Would you expect an adult to be okay with eating only in prescribed intervals and being forced to sleep exactly a certain amount and only when it is deemed acceptable??

I hated this book before I knew anyone using it and now, I am sitting here watching my friends struggle and get so sad and frustrated because their 4 week old isn't conforming to what the book says he should be. He cried and cried for hours because they are trying so hard to schedule him instead of feeding on demand. I just want to hug them and say "Throw that pseudo-science junk in the bin where it belongs! Life is better when you follow the cues of your tiny baby."
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Bump!
MicheleJM
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Never heard of it.  I wouldn't be against encouraging an older baby to go to a schedule.  I also think that if you just fed your baby and he is crying you ought to make sure he's crying for other reasons rather than hunger.  I think I fed my baby every 2 hours during the day at 4 weeks...it was HIS schedule though not mine.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I've never heard of it.
ZombieMeat37
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I personally don't understand the countless baby rearing books. I just did what came naturally, and forcing a baby to self soothe and adjust to a ridiculous schedule, isn't what I call natural.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I'm not opposed to older babies on a schedule either. And of course, feeding isn't the answer to everything. I always try to make sure that all baby's needs are met, including offering to nurse either for nutrition or comfort.

The idea behind babywise is that babies need to learn from a young age that parents run the show. Obviously it would be crazy to let kids dictate everything, but this guy goes so far as to say that babies should be scheduled almost from birth in order to teach them that they aren't in control. Even over their own hunger or sleep needs.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Never heard of it.  I wouldn't be against encouraging an older baby to go to a schedule.  I also think that if you just fed your baby and he is crying you ought to make sure he's crying for other reasons rather than hunger.  I think I fed my baby every 2 hours during the day at 4 weeks...it was HIS schedule though not mine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I was so heart broken for my friends because they walked baby around, shushing him and giving him soothers for hours because it "wasn't time to feed yet." And then they would say things like "I don't know what you want!" to him, even though they hadn't offered all the things he could want, including food.

Quoting ZombieMeat37:

I personally don't understand the countless baby rearing books. I just did what came naturally, and forcing a baby to self soothe and adjust to a ridiculous schedule, isn't what I call natural.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Save yourself some brain cells and don't bother looking it up.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I've never heard of it.
MicheleJM
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

LOL believe me when I started toilet training my youngest that there were just some things I couldn't control no matter what I did...I firmly believe if your toddler thinks you control everything he will find the one thing he can control...his bladder and bowels.  Not all kids will do this but some might just out of sheer stubbornness.  Giving kids a bit of control over their lives isn't a bad thing; I can't understand why it would be.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm not opposed to older babies on a schedule either. And of course, feeding isn't the answer to everything. I always try to make sure that all baby's needs are met, including offering to nurse either for nutrition or comfort. The idea behind babywise is that babies need to learn from a young age that parents run the show. Obviously it would be crazy to let kids dictate everything, but this guy goes so far as to say that babies should be scheduled almost from birth in order to teach them that they aren't in control. Even over their own hunger or sleep needs.
Quoting MicheleJM:

MicheleJM
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Give them Dr. Spock and tell her read it.  Complete opposite. He's from my mother's generation and mine. I believe it's been updated and still published.

Quoting Anonymous: Thank you! I was so heart broken for my friends because they walked baby around, shushing him and giving him soothers for hours because it "wasn't time to feed yet." And then they would say things like "I don't know what you want!" to him, even though they hadn't offered all the things he could want, including food.
Quoting ZombieMeat37:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
As my mom always said, "You can't make (or not make) a kid eat, sleep or poop, so don't go trying to force it."

Quoting MicheleJM:

LOL believe me when I started toilet training my youngest that there were just some things I couldn't control no matter what I did...I firmly believe if your toddler thinks you control everything he will find the one thing he can control...his bladder and bowels.  Not all kids will do this but some might just out of sheer stubbornness.  Giving kids a bit of control over their lives isn't a bad thing; I can't understand why it would be.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm not opposed to older babies on a schedule either. And of course, feeding isn't the answer to everything. I always try to make sure that all baby's needs are met, including offering to nurse either for nutrition or comfort.

The idea behind babywise is that babies need to learn from a young age that parents run the show. Obviously it would be crazy to let kids dictate everything, but this guy goes so far as to say that babies should be scheduled almost from birth in order to teach them that they aren't in control. Even over their own hunger or sleep needs.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)