Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help us decide! *hair*

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is getting a haircut next week. She has very long hair. She's only ever really had trims before and its been a few months since her last one. We want to keep her hair long but she wants to get it styled. I was thinking of adding layers to it since it's pretty much all one length. However, the hairdresser (family friend) told us to look up any styles that we may like.

Everything I find looks the same!

Anyone have any ideas?

This is DD's hair about a month or so ago: (It had been braided the night before, her hair is usually straight as a board.)

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll be watching this one.  DD has hair nearly to her butt and it's super thin and tangles easily.  I convinced her we should cut it since she's starting K.  I need ideas too!

MommyStar3343
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM
If I didn't know any better I would say I wrote that lol. DD is starting kindergarten as well and she's ready for "big girl hair".

It's hard with her hair being so thin to do anything with it so hers gets tangled super easily as well.

Hopefully we will figure something out! =)

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll be watching this one.  DD has hair nearly to her butt and it's super thin and tangles easily.  I convinced her we should cut it since she's starting K.  I need ideas too!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Cut off two inches and layer it. It will help with the tangles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM
2kids2dogs2cats
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Hello, hairstylist here!

She has a very nice head of hair, the problem with really long hair is it can't really be a "style" unless you want to flat iron, curl, put hot curlers in it each day.

Adding a few layers might add to her natural wave, but too much and it will look choppy and unkempt.   I say a good 3 inches of the bottom, would be a good start, ponytails and braids are so cute on little girls, I wouldn't worry about trying to give her a "style" quite yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

What about for a little girl that refuses ponytails, pigtails, barrettes, headbands...LOL.

Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Hello, hairstylist here!

She has a very nice head of hair, the problem with really long hair is it can't really be a "style" unless you want to flat iron, curl, put hot curlers in it each day.

Adding a few layers might add to her natural wave, but too much and it will look choppy and unkempt.   I say a good 3 inches of the bottom, would be a good start, ponytails and braids are so cute on little girls, I wouldn't worry about trying to give her a "style" quite yet.

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Well then I would ask the kid if she wanted short hair! 

Long hair is alot of work, and if the kid refuses to put it up, or tie it back, it will be a tangled mess!

Quoting Anonymous:

What about for a little girl that refuses ponytails, pigtails, barrettes, headbands...LOL.

Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Hello, hairstylist here!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Mobile Photo

Not sure if you can really tell from this pic but this is what it looks like on a daily basis. Long, tangled, in her face. She barely lets me take a brush to it!

Quoting MommyStar3343: If I didn't know any better I would say I wrote that lol. DD is starting kindergarten as well and she's ready for "big girl hair".

It's hard with her hair being so thin to do anything with it so hers gets tangled super easily as well.

Hopefully we will figure something out! =)

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
She asked for short hair, like a bob. But with her facial shape I wasn't sure she could pull it off. Not to mention, on me, short hair is way more high maintenance because I have to straighten it and make sure it curls under. There's no way my girl will let me do all that. I posted a pic a reply or two ago in response to OP.

Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Long hair is alot of work, and if the kid refuses to put it up, or tie it back, it will be a tangled mess!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Hello, hairstylist here!

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

What a doll!

I say something just under the chin, if you go to someone who can do a nice undercut, you should be able to wash it and it will tip under on it's own.  I agree if she hates having her hair done, you should cut it so it is easier for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous: She asked for short hair, like a bob. But with her facial shape I wasn't sure she could pull it off. Not to mention, on me, short hair is way more high maintenance because I have to straighten it and make sure it curls under. There's no way my girl will let me do all that. I posted a pic a reply or two ago in response to OP.
Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 2kids2dogs2cats:

Hello, hairstylist here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)