Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have hardwood floors, you are NOT supposed to...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
  • 58 Replies

Use a steamer on them or use vinegar unless they are laminate floors. But if you have real hardwood floor, you could damage your floor using vindegar and steamer.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonRadiance
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Of course not! The moisture from the steamer will make the wood warp. However, you can use vinegar if it is diluted with water. Don't use it straight up.

thetrollcat
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM

vinegar has acid in it, I read several flooring places and they say do NOT use vinegar at all.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance: Of course not! The moisture from the steamer will make the wood warp. However, you can use vinegar if it is diluted with water. Don't use it straight up.

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Will there be a new post about your floors every day now
thetrollcat
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM

is that a problem???

Quoting incogNinja: Will there be a new post about your floors every day now

CrimsonRadiance
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Most cleaning supplies have an acid in them, that is what helps clean.

If you dilute it enough, it is fine. I use it all the time on our floors. :-) (I use it a lot for cleaning the whole house actually) Don't use it on waxed wood floors though, it will eat through that, even if diluted.

Quoting thetrollcat:

vinegar has acid in it, I read several flooring places and they say do NOT use vinegar at all.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance: Of course not! The moisture from the steamer will make the wood warp. However, you can use vinegar if it is diluted with water. Don't use it straight up.

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
No feel free. It's just annoying

Quoting thetrollcat:

is that a problem???

Quoting incogNinja: Will there be a new post about your floors every day now

MazzyGirl555
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Good to know .  Thank you for the information :)

MazzyGirl555
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM

BUMP!

thetrollcat
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM

wanna turn this into a bf verses ff only vinegar verses professional recommended chemnical cleaner??????

Quoting CrimsonRadiance: Most cleaning supplies have an acid in them, that is what helps clean. If you dilute it enough, it is fine. I use it all the time on our floors. :-) (I use it a lot for cleaning the whole house actually) Don't use it on waxed wood floors though, it will eat through that, even if diluted.
Quoting thetrollcat:

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I have laminate, so I steam. But I hate them and I would love hardwood floors. :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)