Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 Year Old Asked A Very Good Question...Now I'll Ask You!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • 285 Replies
1 mom liked this

...because I don't actually know the answer, lol. 

So we went out to lunch today and both of my 11 month old twins needed a diaper change. It is a royal pain in the ass to change them in public so my 11 year old brother offered to take my son to the mens room and change him for me. The men's room didn't have a changing table so he ended up having to wipe off the counter and place him on the changing pad. He asked me later why men's rooms don't have changing. I really didn't know the answer. Fathers sometimes change diapers, especially single fathers. My boyfriend said the same thing when we talked about it. He said it was hell trying to take his kids anywhere because changing them in public was such a hassle (he has custody of both of his kids and, even when he was married, he was the one that took care of them). He and my brother have both said that they have never seen a changing table in a men's room. A couple of stores/restaurants in the area have family restrooms with changing tables but not many. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaylorBaby
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM
5 moms liked this

because it's "typicial" that the mother does it. it bothers me. i know a few single fathers who have to do what your child did and change the infant on the counter.

LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM
10 moms liked this

First of all, you have an awesome brother!

Second of all, because there is not enough demand for it (squeeky wheel) and even when there is there's not funding for it.  You can try complaining.

I notice that several fast food chains (Burger King, Arby's) frequently do not have changing stations in either rest room.

Sometimes, if it is a single restroom where only the women's has a changing table, DH will go in there to change the diaper.  Otherwise, we often have to do it in the trunk of the car. 

Oh, another fun one I have seen is where I was physically unable to change a diaper because the changing station was at my nose level.  I know I'm on the shorter side of things (5'1") but really?  Why is the changing table 4.5 feet off the ground?

And the other class of people you left out are gay dads. 

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Many do. ESPECIALLY in Utah

luvnmyboi
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Gender roles, plain and simple.
ajdahd13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Yeah I think it's bullshit. I'm not sure why there aren't changing stations in every bathroom.
STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Good question.  More and more places are putting them in, but it is slow going.  I love that many places are offering the "family" restroom option... so much easier when you have kids that THINK they are old enough to go it alone but you aren't ready.

virgoj3
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM

the old double standard rears its ugly head yet again

lil_mama06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Never thought about it...I'm assuming because generally "moms" do the diaper changing...I think it should be in both for the single father's...Maybe start asking the store managers to look into it...

RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Yes, women usually change diapers but that isn't always feisable. I have a coworker with severe carple-tunnel (sp?) and she physically can't change diapers so her husband has to do it. He has to balance his child on his lap a lot. I've had to do that as well but my poor 11 year old doesn't have a lot of lap, lol. 

Quoting TaylorBaby:

because it's "typicial" that the mother does it. it bothers me. i know a few single fathers who have to do what your child did and change the infant on the counter.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM
7 moms liked this

1) Enough men haven't expressed a need for them

2) Men are natural problem solvers. Instead of seeking out a changing table, they prefer to go into "McGuyver" mode and use what's closest, hence your brother using the counter top. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)