Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you REALLY believe that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 158 Replies
2 moms liked this
Growing up in non-denominational (on my mom's side) and Lutheran (on my dad's side) churches I always believed in God but ALWAYS doubted many of the teachings and beliefs that came along with it.

If you would've asked me at the time I would've told you I believed because doubt was considered a bad thing and something to overcome but it was always there.

Now I belong to a church that's very different and I can honestly say I agree with/believe all of the teachings because it makes sense to me.

My question, so you agree with/believe what you're being taught? Or do you doubt and just try to convince yourself that it's true by using faith as a cover for it all. (Ex: this part doesn't necessarily make sense to me but the pastor said it and I have faith so I'll go with it)

*not just Christians either...any religion.

Add: I don't care what you believe...Do you believe the common truths of whatever it is you believe or does some of it not make sense to you?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I believe because....I believe. I have had my doubts, I always will have my doubts. We all have doubts at some point.

I would never just go along with something because someone, even a pastor, said it's true. Read the Bible on your own. Decide what it means for YOU. That's what is most important in religion, for me anyway.

Brandyns87
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Some things in the bible just don't make sense to me and they never will, but I still call myself a Christian. I believe most of what I'm taught, but not all of it.

Gianna2014
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I was raised Catholic and as a child I accepted everything I was taught as it was. As an adult, I find myself not believing in everything that I was taught to believe in. I feel that's wrong of me, but I do find fault with the Church.

Not sure what my plan is for DD. I don't have a Church at the moment, not sure if I want to go back- especially as a single, unmarried woman with a newborn. I feel like I'm supposed to have her baptised, though.

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM
4 moms liked this
It depends. Are we talking do's and dont's? Or theology? For example, baptists don't drink or dance ( do's and don't). Because I don't let one particular denomination make rules for me. My guide is scripture, not man made rules. But theologivally, yes, I believe what's taught. There's basically one great spiritual truth, that Jesus is the son of god, he died so I can have eternal life. Whether I drink,dance,or believe in creationism or evolution, whether I wear dresses or pants, whether I'm divorced or married...none of those determines my salvation. I can be a member of a non-drinking congregation and still feel comfortable having a glass of wine. My church is not my conscience.
Kinda scattered, but did that answer your question lol?
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I used to believe because I was terrified to do otherwise.  Hellfire, damnation and eternal torture are not my idea of a good time.  I no longer believe any of it.

RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I was never taught about God until I was 15 and my grandmother adopted us. She took me to church but she let me make up my own mind about religion. I choose to WANT to believe but I am skeptical. God and I have our own issues. I let my 11 year old make up his mind. He picked out our church and we go pretty much every Sunday because he chooses to go. I go with him because I do what to encourage him to believe in God. I think it is good for kids to have something to believe in, if they so choose. I didin't have that and I sometimes regret it. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Sally-Diane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't believe in churches because they are out for one thing, profit. I do not believe in the bible or it's teachings. I believe that there is a higher power because of the wonder and beauty I see everyday. Some people think that higher power is God, Buddha, mother earth, etc...to me it is all the same. I do not believe you have to go o a building to worship your God, nor do I think you have to give tithings to that building. I do however, believe you can worship and be a good person from your own home. Not many churches would accept this thought process.
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Always questioned and formed my own beliefs.

Quoting Anonymous:  My question, do you agree with/believe what you're being taught? Or do you doubt and just try to convince yourself that it's true by using faith as a cover for it all. (Ex: this part doesn't necessarily make sense to me but the pastor said it and I have faith so I'll go with it) *not just Christians either...any religion.

KristaP13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I used to believe because the catholic school I went to made it pretty clear I would "burn in hell" if I didn't. 

I no longer believe in any of it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)