Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hand-me-downs... Yay or nay?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: Hand-me-downs - Yes or no for your kids?

Options:

Yes, of course

No, who wants someone else's throw aways

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

Will your kids wear hand-me-downs? Are you particular about who they come from or does that not matter?

I ask because I had a friend text me to ask if my son would wear her son's hand-me-downs. Of course he will! Free clothes are awesome, but it made me think that maybe some kids/parents were against the idea for some reason.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chelse07
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Probably 75% of my dd's clothes are hand me downs from my niece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my.sonshine
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM
i have 3 boys so lpts of hand me downs from my oldest.
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM

clothes are clothes and bleach is bleach

----a new book title by leo leonni :P

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

xredstarsx
3 moms liked this
Most of my sons clothes are hand me downs. I have a friend who collects clothes from a all of her friends and family and distributes it to who ever needs it. Then when the kids outgrow the sizes you give them back and she passes them on again.
sarah824

My kids both wear a ton of hand-me-downs from friends. They don't mind and I love what we save on buying clothes.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM
I have 3 girls. I have over a dozen HUGE plastic totes neatly labeled by age/size. Any clothes that were in perfect or near perfect condition were packed into totes. The amount of clothes we've accumulated is INSANE, not to mention the stuff that gets donated or trashed.

I would feel so bad NOT reusing it. My Mum spends a stupid amount of money on their clothes. Every time they start to grow out of stuff..we bust out the bins and pack/unpack the appropriate sizes.

Of course the younger two get lots of their own new stuff too.
Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM
I don't do very many hand me downs. I'm not above them or anything, I just really love shopping for kids clothes.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM
I love hand-me-down clothes especially for kids.
BEXi
by BEXi on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course. I was the youngest of six.. it was pretty much all I wore. However, I refuse to never by my younger son new clothes, like my parents did for me. I felt very rejected seeing the older sister get new clothes and me just getting her old ones.

KristaP13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Yes, if they are in good condition I don't care where they come from.

DD2 gets hand me downs from DD1. We take care of clothes, you wouldn't even know some of the clothes were bought 2-3 years ago. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)