Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you answer this question?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
How would you motivate a student and their family?How would you express the importance of an education? I have no clue how to answer these questions.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Bump
AugustMomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM

As a teacher? Or a friend? 

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Sorry can't help.  My kids are simply expected to go to school and do their best because it is their job and the law to attend.  It is important however, if they ever hope to be able to support themselves and their families then they need to have an education. 

the.B.karma
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Pie charts. They fix everything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM
As school staff. It's a interview question that keeps popping up.I stumble through it every time.

Quoting Anonymous:

As a teacher? Or a friend? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Depends on the age of the child... ds gets a monthly personal pan pizza if he logs his reading charts. He was between 7/8. Not sure how they will do 3rd grade. In 7th grade for me, the class that got the most hw assignments turned in got a pizza party at the end of each quarter.

I feel like after preteen years, it has to be from within the child. Before that, their families have a big say- like ds wouldn't do his work unless i make him. Hopefully by 15, he can do it himself (getting it started, being organized, etc).

Not sure if that helps

Eta as an interview question, I'd say, I'd stress the importance of education until I got to know the individual child and by extension, their families. Knowing the child, I feel like i would have a better understanding of what motivates them. Each child is different, and motivation would have to fit each individual child. There's no way to give a straight forward answer that would cookie cut all the kids together
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I ask the student to close his or her eyes and imagine how they want future life to be like in terms of interests, home life, how free time is spent and what material possessions are important to them.  Invariably, the student envisions a life with family time and a moderate to high level of material possessions.  Then I explain that in order to gain that lifestyle, they need to work both smart and hard when they are young, when they have the energy and freedom to do so with less stress.  

It usually works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)